bizsmith@yahoo.com

Notes On TST Monitor System

I know there are several reliable tire pressure monitor systems. I chose TST many years ago and here are some notes for any who might be in a quandary whose system to choose.

Theft proof sensors seem a good concept, but personally I would not recommend them. I do not see sensor theft a priority issue. I adjust pressures fairly often and the wrench can be annoying. The configuration of my front rims made it very, very difficult to use the wrench. When it came time to change the batteries in my sensors, I opted to trade for the newer system (although more expensive) with flow thru sensors. I can now adjust pressures w/o removing the sensor. Batteries are owner replaceable.

I have to use a repeater. For some reason the right front tire on my toad is a problem. It is not the further of the sensors but it had problems on both systems.

TST has been very easy to work with. Example: they admitted their early sensors had a gasket problem and exchanged all my sensors at the Madison Show free of charge, no questions asked.

Replace your toad valve stems with rigid metal ones. With the flexible stems, the sensors would occasionally loosen themselves. I still check quite often to see that they are tight even with the rigid stems.

As I said, there are may reliable systems. I hope this helps in your decision.

"Don't leave home without it."

I did not like the wrench either and when I was talking with Dan Covington he suggested using super glue. I did. It keeps the theft proof from just spinning and you can take the sensor on/off by hand. My biggest problem was the gasket leaking and after about a week I took them off and they are still in the original box. I had only used 4 sensors on the TOAD and I was very skeptical to try and use them on the MH. Myabe I should see what newer technolgy is out there.

................Theft proof sensors seem a good concept, but personally I would not recommend them. I do not see sensor theft a priority issue. I adjust pressures fairly often and the wrench can be annoying. The configuration of my front rims made it very, very difficult to use the wrench.................

I did not find the wrench easy to work with on the TST either. Over approx 8 mo. I had a couple of toad flats (while parked) due to loosening sensors, and had many failed sensors replaced under warranty. I currently use TireTracker. The sensors have a separate lock piece (using a small allen wrench as I recall) that I have never attempted to use.

I also have chosen the TST system. I went with the flow thru sensors for both the MH & toad. It was fine the exception of one of the toad tires not registering once in a while (usually in the rain) which could be fixed by moving the small antenna on the monitor. Then The antenna broke and the nightmare began. I sent the monitor in and also purchased a repeater. I was also receiving low battery warning on two of the sensors so I replaced all 10 batteries. The new monitor worked fine but when it was unplugged for a short while it would loose it settings. It also began to not pick up readings on a few of the tires. I sent the monitor and problem sensors in for trouble shooting and warranty repair. I received the monitor back with four new, non flow thru sensors for the toad, which I had agreed upon via a phone call, and one other new sensor. I now have three wrenches. Two Allen but different sizes and one for the toad sensors. But, the monitor was still loosing it memory after a short while. After posting on a different forum, Dan C told me to contact them and he would get the problem fixed and I will say he did. I got a new monitor and a much larger "T" antenna which I could mount a few feet away. I do not need the repeater now because the new antenna picks up all ten sensors. BUT, It is less than two months later and the new sensor for the MH gave me a low battery warning. I tested the voltage and it read 2.74 volts dc which is short of the 3 v dc needed. I went to radio shack today and bought three new batteries.

I am hoping that when I get on the road again Sunday that I will be trouble free but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the tip on the super glue, I to have been having trouble with the TST sensors I am getting less than 3 yrs before dead batteries (on I think 3 so far) and they are off the coach most of the time, Had the pressure Pro 6 + yrs before the batteries started to go same thing off the coach most of the time and the sensors is about $40 now