Sign in to follow this  
benny@waskomtexas.com

Roadtrek paint touchup

We have a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190. This model, as do most Roadtreks, have fiberglass add-on panels on both sides, steps on the passenger side and the driver step, and a storage compartment on the driver side. Our MH evidently has been kept in a garage most of it's life. As far as I know there have been three owners. The people that we got it from kept it under one of those MH covers, but the sides did not come to the ground. Maybe the first owner also. When we picked it up it was facing the South and the sun shinned on the driver side. The passenger side had shade from some trees in the afternoon.

The clearcoat on the two compartment doors on the driver side is coming off. I tried carefully wet sanding with 320 wet/dry sandpaper trying the "feather" the clearcoat with the idea of shooting a fresh coat of clearcoat on the doors. It didn't take but a few seconds to find out that the undercoat of paint is extremely thin. I have done quite a bit of car refinishing over the years and never shot on that thin.

Ok, the question is where can I find paint the will match the undercoat ? I would prefer a spray can. I don't want to have to get out a spray gun for such a little job. Also, I know there are spray devices that use compressed air in a can to spray small amounts of paint. That would work if I can match the paint color.

I appreciate any comments.

We have a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190. This model, as do most Roadtreks, have fiberglass add-on panels on both sides, steps on the passenger side and the driver step, and a storage compartment on the driver side. Our MH evidently has been kept in a garage most of it's life. As far as I know there have been three owners. The people that we got it from kept it under one of those MH covers, but the sides did not come to the ground. Maybe the first owner also. When we picked it up it was facing the South and the sun shinned on the driver side. The passenger side had shade from some trees in the afternoon.

The clearcoat on the two compartment doors on the driver side is coming off. I tried carefully wet sanding with 320 wet/dry sandpaper trying the "feather" the clearcoat with the idea of shooting a fresh coat of clearcoat on the doors. It didn't take but a few seconds to find out that the undercoat of paint is extremely thin. I have done quite a bit of car refinishing over the years and never shot on that thin.

Ok, the question is where can I find paint the will match the undercoat ? I would prefer a spray can. I don't want to have to get out a spray gun for such a little job. Also, I know there are spray devices that use compressed air in a can to spray small amounts of paint. That would work if I can match the paint color.

I appreciate any comments.

here are the color codes for the old-school roadtreks with white bodies and blue/tan/green trim:

ice blue pearl is PPG#16842

mocha frost metallic is PPG#4282

grey green metallic is PPG#400528

give these to an auto paint shop and they'll mix you up some enamel for a few bucks. don't get any kind of paint that needs a hardener/catalyst unless you know what you're doing. if you don't have spray equipment, buy a pre-val setup from them. it's an aerosol can that attaches it a small glass paint container and it venturis the paint up out of the container. as low on the body as you're painting, it should look OK.

campskunk