iris@idcarter.com

First Time Traveling with Dogs

IMHO, if your grandchildren are to ride and sleep in your RV, you can not permit your dogs to enter the RV.

The dogs' hair and dander will get trapped in the fibers and in unreachable areas of the RV, which may trigger allergy attacks in the children. Also, if your dogs travel with you and are outside playing, you would have to keep your grandchildren indoors, not to mention you would have to bathe and change clothes every time you came in contact/played with your dogs so as not to contaminate the RV or children with dog hair and dander.

So, maybe the children's allergies can be controlled with medication or their immunities will kick in.

I think that you are between a rock and a hard place. It's going to be impossible for you to go down the road without having the dogs and the grandchildren both in the coach unless you have some kind of exterior riding place for the dogs. ( I am assuming that the grandchildren would ride in the coach.) As a dog owner, I would never travel with the dogs outside of the coach for fear that heat or fumes would kill them. Also, many campground and campers object to dogs being leashed outside the coach, especially overnight or during the day when the owners are away. Leaving them unleashed is NOT an option.

This sounds harsh, and I apologize, but you seem to me to in a position where you will have to choose between dogs and grandchildren in your coach.

Doggydaddy is right, if the grandchildren are to ride in the coach, you cannot allow the dogs in, ever. Having lived in a coach for 2 years now with two smaller dogs, I know that there is no way to remove all of the hair, dander, etc that goes with dogs no matter how good a housekeeper you and your spouse are! Even if you are part time, the dog residue still gets into everything! That's why so many used coaches for sale are advertised as "No Pets".

Guest Wayne77590

Wow! As stated, you have to choose one or the other. Having a dog, I know it is impossible to keep all forms of allergy stimuli out of the coach. The children will suffer just from the residue.

Also, I know of no campground that allows animals outside without supervision (someone being with them at all times). So unless you are willing to stay outside with them 24/7, it can't happen.

I also am sorry that you are in a no-win situation.

To get both dogs use to traveling, you should take them on short trips around town, the more trips the better. The more they ride and enoy it the easier it will be. You have lots of time to start training them. This way they will know what to expect, and not be afraid of anything.

I haven't traveled with dogs in a long time, but it sounds like you've thought of everything. Are your dogs microchipped? If not please have them done before you leave. Also be sure they are wearing tags, and the tags and leashed at ALL times, I have read lots of stories about dogs getting lost in traveling, and I would sure hate it to be yours.

I would also go with a doggie seat belt, I think the crate might be too confining in the car. Get meds from the vet for car sickness no need to give it unless needed. At least you'll have it with you. Also if they are prone to being car sick be sure to not feed them in the car and maybe go light on their feedings beforehand. Also make sure you have their vaccines up to date especially the rabies and have proof of everything.

Exercise would be great before having to be in their crates. Remember a tired dog is a good dog.

Another important thing to remember is NEVER leave them unattended in a car parked in the sun. Actually I would never leave them unattended in the car at all, but that's just me.

I hope ya'll have a great trip. Keep a journal, and take lots of pictures. That will be great to have so you can look back on your fun trip.