Sign in to follow this  
tllapointe

Driving 42-foot RV in Canada

I heard that some western provinces in Canada have limits on RVs at 41 feet. I planned to visit Canada and go through to go to Alaska with a 42-foot motorhome.

What are your experiences with 42-foot and longer RVs getting into and driving in Canada?

Thanks,

Tom

I heard that some western provinces in Canada have limits on RVs at 41 feet. I planned to visit Canada and go through to go to Alaska with a 42-foot motorhome.

What are your experiences with 42-foot and longer RVs getting into and driving in Canada?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom, I have driven all over Canada and I have never heard of any restrictions other than class of license or the requirement of a air-brake endorsement. I have seen all kinds of motorhomes and fifth wheels on our highways and the only restrictions that I am aware of are for tractor-trailers and the wheel-base that is required if you want to hall throught the mountains. If you want to be absolutely positive you could check with the various provincial bodies. Good-luck

Until recently Ontario had a limit that was about 42 ft. That didn't stop several dealers from selling 45 footers and visitors from bringing them in on vacation travel. Unless they've changed it in the past year, MTO has a special fee for those licensed that are over 42 ft (not 42 exactly as it is metric). I'm surprised no one has challenged this since visiting vehicles don't have to pay it.

Ontario finally established a policy for RV driving licenses.

MTO licensing for drivers of RVs.

In the notes you will see that actual weights are used not manufacturers' ratings when it comes to the class of license needed. Many Class A units that tow are way over the limit and a Class D is required. Most of the offending drivers don't even know the requirement exists.

42.rtf

Hello,

I go by Halibutman;

We own 42' Monaco Dynasty and tow Cadillac Esecalde behind. We have been traveling the Al-Can with this coach since the Summer of 2005.

We have not had any length issues as of yet. Some of RV parks are tight but manage.

Just came down last week, on our trek South for the Winter.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me;

halibutman@hughes.net

Thanks

Tony

Regarding the drivers license issues, reciprocal agreements apply here. Where I am licensed, I have a legal drivers license but it doesn't meet the Canadian requirements.

The web site cited by Grandriver for Ontario regulations states:

Driver licence reciprocity

Ontario permits an out-of-province driver to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles in Ontario if the driver is properly licensed to drive the vehicle or combination in their Province or State of residency and the licence is valid.

So the same conditions apply in Canada as the US. If you are legal in your home state, your license is good in Ontario. And yes, they do spell license differently in Canada, Queens (the monarch not the borough) English I guess!

[. . . . . And yes, they do spell license differently in Canada, Queens (the monarch not the borough) English I guess!

Note that license (with an s) is the verb. Licence (with the c) is the noun. ie If you have a driver's licence you are licensed to drive.

picky picky picky! But who cares? lol