Sign in to follow this  
washtech

Raising Tag Axle on Newmar Motorhome

Newbie looking for help with tag axle question.

I understand the purpose of the tag axle on a coach and I further understand that tight turns can be assisted with raising the tag axle. However, I haven't been able to find any info about how to operate the tag on my 2004 Newmar.

There is a switch labeled "tag axle dump." Therefore, am I to assume the tag axle is "normally" held in the "down" position by "air pressure" and if I push the "dump" switch it releases that air pressure and the tag axle automatically raises up? If that's the case, does it then automatically go back into the "down" position after a certain period of time or upon certain actions of the coach?

Thanks for any help.

Washtech,

Is your switch a momentary or 2 position? If it is a 2 position then here is what I would do. First I would dump the air and then go out and check to see if the Tag Axle wheels are raised up off the ground. Then I would go back in the coach reverse the switch and go back out and check to see if the wheels have lowered. That would answer your question about the raising and lowering the Tag.

I understand that some tags will go down after you exceed a certain MPH. My Dynasty will stay up till I reverse the switch. It does have a alarm but I can't hear it but the DW can and will let me know to "Lower the Tag dummy".

Herman

The tag axle on the Newmar will not raise. All the tag axle dump does is dump the air and take some of the weight off the tag to assist with turning. It automatically engages when you shift into reverse & if I recall correctly it only works under 10-15 mph in forward. I use to own a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star & from reading the manual that was how it operated.

Thanks Guys:

I tired what Herman had said and it actually worked as washbob indiciated. I really wish the manufacturer provided more "detailed" info on these type matters, as I find nothing in the owner's manual with much detail on systems operations. But, I'm learning through trial & error and most especially through communication with experienced owners such as you folks. Thanks again.

Not sure I can ask this but I'll give it a try. Washbob are you in the car wash business, as I am?

Thanks again,

Washtech

I also am trying to understand the tag axle. I have a 2004 Newmar Essex.

Do you dump the tag axle air when you put the jacks down as you do the air bags?

What is the deal with the turning, do you have to dump the air when making a turn.

Guess I just don't understand the way it works.

Leland,

On most coaches with tags axles you may, with the tag axle button, raise and or just remove the downward pressure to the tag axle wheels so they will not drag on tight turns. Also some coaches with air bags may both Jacks and Air Leveling. While some will have only one or the other. Either way the best way to level a coach with air bags is as follows.

When you a parked where you want to be, DUMP your air bags.

After dumping activate either your air leveling or jacks to level your coach.

The reason you dump your air first is to lower the coach so when you start your auto leveling neither air bags or jacks will have too far to travel to level your unit. Momma does not like that last step when it is 2 feet off the ground. :wub:

Hope this helps.

Herman

All, I have a 2015 Tuscany 45 with a tag axle. I am not sure when or how dump the tag. I have noticed on two occasions leaving back tire marks when pulling in and or pulling out. I need some assistance.