stctom

Flat Towing a C-Max Energi

Does anyone have experience flat towing a Ford C-Max Energi, or the regular hybrid? How does the push button start affect the steering lock while being towed? Is there sufficient ground clearance? Are there other things to consider?

Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom,

We flat towed a 2013 C-Max SEL hybrid for about 3500 miles last year. Push button start-stop. Steering wheel does not "lock.". ( it is my understanding this is true for most cars made after 2007? Or so.). Our C had a ground clearance on specs about 8" (as I recall). Blue ox has baseplate for C-Max, and there is room in 2013 SEL we had for separate tail light bulb kit (BX8869?)

We had continuing parasitic battery drain (not when towing ... Just a problem chased but never resolved but common for many C-Max 2013 models). After several new 12v battery replaced, and numerous "dead on road , towed to dealership for dead battery" we lost patience and replaced it with a different mfr. If you are looking at 2014 C, Ford may have solved battery problems?

Best bet is to go to the C-Max owners forum: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/. There you can check for others who currently / still tow C's for updates on toad use :-).

We have had issues towing the 2014 Ford C-MAX SEL. After towing, a warning light comes on saying to service the Advanced Traction Control. Ford engineering has "verbally" told me to drive a mile or two at 12 mph or greater and the warning light will clear itself. The warning does go away but stays with the computer for dealers to see. We did take it to a dealer and the error code was still in the computer. The dealer had no clue and no fix from Ford. Until this problem showed up, Ford had never seen this problem. I am waiting for something in writing from Ford stating that we will be safe and no damage will happen to the car as a result of towing. No letter yet. I should note that I have worked with Ford engineering to help solve the problem. They were able to replicate the problem with the 2013 and 2014 SEL on an anemometer. The issue only shows up on SEL models with push button start and the full option packages.

As far as battery life, we added a trickle charger powered from the coach. Works great. You will note in Fords manual for the C-MAX, it states to use a trickle charger on the car if not being driven for more than 30 days.

Finally, we do love the car. Ford assures us that they are working on a software fix for the warning system.

Thank you both for the useful information. It appears that it might be prudent to wait a little bit. My Saturn Vue should be fine for a little while longer.