F355197

Air Filter Minder

I have the Cummins ISM500 in my motorhome and the air filter has been recently replaced. The air filter minder has not been indicating so I removed the tubing to the air minder and checked it with a vacuum cleaner hose and I could get the indicator of the minder in the visible range. I disconnected the hose at the main air duct leading from the filter to the engine and removed the fitting on the air duct. The fitting at the duct appears to have a sintered metal filter (probably brass) in it but there is no visible debris in it. I assume that this filter is there to ensure no debris would get sucked into the engine if the tubing to the air minder were to become disconnected, cut, etc. I cannot get any air flow through this fitting by blowing on it. Should I be able to get air flow through this fitting by blowing on it? Is this an item that should be replaced? My previous mh had a Cat engine and even after replacing the air filter I could get indication on its monitor.

Jack,

Monaco fit the air intake system. I would check with them as far as replacement for the brass sintered metal "filter". Indeed, you should be able to get air flow through it or it can't possibly work.

BTW, the air filter minder can easily be checked with no special tools-- just suck on the vacuum hose-- you should easily be able to peg the minder and it should retain that "max vacuum" reading until you push the reset button. Part of my routine annual check list to confirm that it is working. Remember the air filter minder reads in column inches of water-- not much when converted to PSI.