Sign in to follow this  
FLTransplant

Cancer Care On The Road - Need Monthly Port Flush

While experiencing an open time period in treatment of ovarian cancer, we are leaving Florida for six months. However, I have a port embedded in my chest that should be flushed out once a month. Trying to make arrangements for this, we have discovered we will need a doctor's appointment for the state followed by medicare and insurance verification and then an appointment for the flush. Initial discussion in San Antonio revealed it would take longer than the week we plan to spend in San Antonio.

Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution? Will just walking into an emergency room work?

Thanks for any suggestions....

I happened across your post while looking on the site.

I have no medical training but having been with my wife during her 6 month hospitalization last year, I have some suggestions. Make your appointments ahead of leaving, get the medical evacuation insurance if available in case you need to return to your original doctor, know the model and detailed information of the port, know the procedure for cleaning/maintenance so that the "new doctor" doesn't deviate.

If you are confident with an RV, you probably can learn do the same with the medical device maintenance. Consider being trained and obtain the supplies to do the port maintenance yourself (with help). You then know its done as taught as it should be.

My wife had a (TIC line) thoracic inserted catheter direct into a cardiac artery. Both of its ports required flushing with heparin once a day. I did this for 5 months after leaving the hospital. Talk with your doctor about taking on this responsibility. Beyond that have fun planning the trip, seeing the sights and enjoy the time while taking care to remember each your partner.