Sign in to follow this  
PinkArnold

Cummins Onan Diesel Generator - Changing Coolant

Soon, I will be changing the coolant in my Cummins Onan 6000 diesel generator for the first time (it's nearing 2 years). The Cummins manual states that the engine cooling system was filled at factory with a 50/50 mixture of ethylene glycol antifreeze. (It's green).

Does anyone have a preference or recommendation regarding an ethylene glycol solution that contains a rust and corrosion inhibitor? The manual clearly states it should NOT contain a stop-leak additive.

Has anyone opted to switch from green to Shell Rotella ELC 50/50?

Thanks in advance.

PINK ARNOLD

Pink Arnold,

I change the coolant in my generator every 3 years and do not use extended life series.

I do the same with my coach diesel, the engine in my coach is not the sleeved style block. So I do not have to watch the acid level as closely. Just change it on the same time frame and use the same coolant. Lets me see how dirty or clean the system is.

Good steam cleaning of the radiator and CAC is 2 weeks away, just before the coach hits the road.

Rich.

Thank you for your reply, Rich.

I've opted to go with Fleetguard ES Compleat EG. The local Cummins-Onan service uses this or Zerex. When I change the coolant in the next week or two, I'll have a chance to see how the drained solution looks (after 2 years of use). Then I'll likely change to every 3 year interval.

Happy Travels!

Pink Arnold