kaelalynn

Considering A 2014 Ford Flex As A Tow; Thoughts?

The Flex is listed as being able to tow 4-down. Is it? We be pulling it with a 40' 2003 Damon Escaper 330hp DP. The rig is heavy at about 25,000# dry, and the Flex weighs in at about 4,600# The MH is rated to tow 10,000#. Any advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Don't have experience with a 2014 Flex but we've been towing a 2009 Flex since late 2012 with no issues.

I have the Blue Ox system with the Roadmaster braking system (96XX, I think) that was in our Monaco Diplomat when we purchased it. The reason we chose the flex was it's roominess and ability to flat tow without removing fuses or anything like that. It takes about 10 mins to hook/unhook and I've not had any tow related issues.

It is a bit heavier than we'd like but that's a tradeoff for the passenger room. Our 2005 Diplomat has the 400 Cummins which has plenty of power for our 40' Diplomat and the flex. We did, however, experience some issues with high temperatures when towing up the Continental Divide from west Texas to Phoenix because our Diplomat has a rear radiator and abient temp was 104 pulling that Flex up hill from Las Cruces toward Phoenix.

We put about 3500 miles on it during our western loop which included the Grand Canyon, through Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, on through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota and eventually by home to southeast Tennessee (Cleveland). As far as towing, it tows fine, is really no problem when following the guidelines Ford issues....limit speed to 65 and stop every 5 hours and cycle the transmission to cool the fluid. That being said, I think if you'll follow the recommended procedure you'll be fine. It is a bit heavier than I would like but, as I said, the 400hp Cummins handles it well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info! I found a Flex forum where there was considerable info on the topic, but what you posted was the jest of it. You addressed my concerns, but I'm hoping our 330 Cummins will handle it. At any rate, I ordered a 2014 yesterday, so a moment of silence might be in order ;-)

Again, thanks for taking time to post an answer.