Sign in to follow this  
tireman9

UV Protection For Tires

Just finished my testting this morning and thought I would share the results here first.

I have read a number of posts, advertisements and even a couple of tire blogs on protecting tires from UV. The best way I know of, other than parking indoors is to cover the tires to shield them from direct sunlight.

For my test I used a UV index meter and compared the readings of Full Sunshine = 9 which is quite High

vs Full Shad = 0

vs White vinyl covers = 0

vs Black vinyl = 0

vs blue tarp = 0

vs window screen = 5

It is clear from this test that just about any material that shields all sunlight will be adiquate for protecting your tires from UV damage. Even the mesh covers are better than nothing but they are not as good as solid material.

If you want to see pictures and read a bit of the test report, you can read-up on my Blog

Just to answer one question: I use my white covers on my tires whenever parked for more than a day when it is not raining.

Hope to see some of you in Redmond in August. It's a haul from Ohio but we do love travel out West and I expect FMCA will ask for both tire seminars again as thy did in Perry.

The other factor, I believe, is that the mesh type covers also allow air circulation around the tires thus preventing moisture accumulation on the tires. If you are parked for several months at a time, as we do, this air circulation can make a difference along with the UV protection afforded by these type covers.