rjsmith

Sugestions On A Scenic Route From Raton NM to Yellowstone

Question

We are going through Raton NM and will be headed to Yellow Stone National Park. We are driving a 40 ft motor home pulling a tow car. I see a lot of scenic highways angling up through Colorado. My concern is am I going to get into any trouble with excessive steep or sharp curves.

Thank you for your information.

Smitty e-mail: yumafujimo@gmail.com

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum. Someone will be buy that has experience in that area. I would think Google Earth would be a good place to start. I Would be cautious as some of those scenic highways can become jeep trails.

Bill

Welcome to the forum.

In 2012 we spent a week in the Raton area and then went on to Yellowstone. I can't tell you anything about the scenic drives across Colorado because we went straight north on I 25 to Cheyenne, WY where we spent a couple of days and then on west to Lander for a couple of days. Then on from there to the south entrance to Yellowstone. There should be someone here with information on Colorado.

Have a good trip.

With a 40footer, you had better stick to I-25. The route west of the continental divide up thru Silverton would be almost impossible with your rig.

An option would be to go north on 25 to 50 at Pueblo, the west to Royal Gorge and take Hwy 9 up to Fairplay, then pick up one of the 2 roads out of there. Really nice scenery and good 2 lane road. I have done it in our 44fter.

Happy traveling.

Oh, for your info, we live in Beulah, Co 60 miles south of Canon City.