Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmoning.

Motorhome size limits

Guest tmoning

We are getting ready to buy a 40-foot motorhome, but we were concerned that some states may have laws limiting the length of coaches. Will we be limited as to where we can travel because of length laws? We also plan to tow a car behind our RV.

I think California has laws against lengths greater than 60 feet. However, I know lots of people who travel in the state with lengths longer than 60 feet and have never had a complaint. But you may also want to consider your length if you're traveling in areas that have secondary roads and lots of switch-backs. The length of your motorhome may prohibit you from making tight turns. :rolleyes:

Edited by F355480

Hi tmoning,

45 feet is the legal maximum length for a single vehicle. The combined length of the coach and towed (toad) car is where the states set different limits. In addition, states also restrict the combined length on some individual roads (e.g. going to the sun road, Glacier NP). In these situations, with or without the restrictions I would not take my coach on these roads. Lastly, some federal and state CGs cannot accomodate large coaches. I understood these things when I purchased the signature coach. For me it was okay. I am pleased with the large coach and choose my CGs and routes accordingly.

We have traveled through all of the continental US and Canada in our 40 foot motor home with a SUV toad. We are just under 65 feet when all connected together. Much of New England has legal lengths that are less than this but we were never challenged. I have no doubt that if we had been involved in an accident we would have received a ticket and may have had insurance issues as well. California does have restrictions on some roads (mountains, coast, etc.) but you would be legal with a 40 foot coach on most California roads. Check the references given above to determine where you would be legal.