Sign in to follow this  
chymes

2013 Silverado 2500 HD Weight Question?

I am confused on what weight to use for towing my 2500HD. Do I use curb weight or GVWR? Curb weight is listed at 7384 lbs. GVWR is at 10,000 lbs. If I use curb weight then a Blue Ox 7500 lb rated tow bar would seem to be ok to use. If I use GVWR then I need to step up to 10,000lb rated tow bar. I have no experience in towing, so I am asking you, the experts! Can anyone help?

You need to use the weight of the truck loaded like it will be when towed. Full fuel tank and any items you will be carrying. Example, some may load a four wheeler or golf cart in the bed bed of the truck. The best thing is load the truck the way you think you will tow it and get it weighed. I'm confident you're going to need the 10,000 lbs tow bar.

Next question: is your motorhome rated to tow that much weight? I'm not talking about the hitch rating either.

Thanks for your help! I estimate my loaded weight to be approx. 8000 lbs. + or -. I am towing with a 2008 Monaco Knight 38PDQ, Road master RR8R chassis with a Cummins ISC 360 engine and Allison 3000 MH 6 speed transmission with electronic shift. My hitch receiver is rated at 10,000 lbs. I am still researching to see if the MH is rated to tow this weight? Being new to the RV and towing, I am still trying to figure this out. Thanks for your help!

Your GVWR plaque (usually by driver's area) will list GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). From that, subtract the loaded weight of the coach.

Also, Monaco likely published towing capacity.

And, also look at the hitch rating.

IMPORTANT-- THE LEAST/SMALLEST NUMBER/FORMULA DICTATES MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY.

Thank you Wolfe10! There is a lot of info on that plaque! I found mine on the inside of the top cabinet door over the vanity. I saw it before, but thanks to you I now know how to use it! Gonna need a 10000 lb tow bar as Elkhartjim suggested. I have followed this forum for a long time. Best info on the web! Thanks