Sign in to follow this  
gaudette67

Audible Dash Alarm In A Rain Storm

I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PDQ and have experienced an audible alarm (no dash warning lights) when traveling in a hard rain storm. As the rain gets intense, the alarm gets louder and when rain subsides, the alarm noise decreases in intensity and then stops. The alarm noise sounds very much like the same audible alarm you hear when you first start up and the air pressure has not built back up.

Any ideas where to look for issues that may be causing this issue ??

gaudette67,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

If you have an alarm for "antenna up" that would be my first suspect, as it is on the roof and exposed to "hurricane force" winds. Water can easily be driven into the connections or switch.

Other possibilities are the alarm for engine issues-- oil pressure and/or water temperature. If those connections get wet, the resistance can change. Unplug, clean (de-oxit or similar) and a silicone dielectric grease will keep them happy for a long time.

Wolfe10,

Thanks for the ideas. They are worth checking out. The only hitch I can think of is that all those mentioned also have warning lights on the dash and none of these light up when the audible alarm sounds. Nevertheless, I'm probably going to end up crawling around the engine compartment looking for cracked seals on connections to sensors, chaffed wires and the like. Someone also recently mentioned bleeding the air tank (which I did recently) and something about the possibility of water in the diesel fuel separator. If anyone has thoughts there........keep the ideas coming. Thanks !!

Water in diesel should be no worse in rain vs dry-- the water in internal to the fuel system. Could it be water in the plug to it-- yes, exactly the same as with the other engine sensors mentioned.

As far as bleeding the air tank(s), please verify that you do have an air dryer. It will be the after the engine-driven air compressor and before the first tank. If you do have one (suspect you do), the tanks drains are basically a "report card" on the air dryer. If anything but clean, dry air comes out, the dryer has failed. So, water, oil or worse, a white powder, you are past due for air dryer service. Air dryer service is generally an every three year item-- perhaps a little longer if you are in the desert SW.

Also, with your coach, be sure this IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE as been addressed: http://community.fmca.com/topic/569-important-safety-problem-monaco-holiday-rambler-safari-chassis/?hl=+serious%20+problem%20+some%20+monaco,%20+holiday%20+rambler%20+

Brett

Monaco coaches are bad about that, they put a low air alarm on the top of front air tank.

Its a little hockey puck looking deal and road scum collects on top where the two wires are connected when it gets wet the road scum makes contact of the two wires causing the alarm, wash the scum off and I think the alarm will stop in wet weather.

Walt