Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

Fresh Water Level Indicator

I read the advice on the forum for maintaining and cleaning the black and gray level indicators, but just recently had my fresh water level indicator go goofy. We had noticed a slight smell in the water coming from the taps and figured it was time to disinfect it again. Drained all but I think about 15-20 gallons from the system, added 1/4 cup bleach to it and refilled the tank. Used several gallons thru the taps and then drained the system again. Refilled system again and that's when the indicator started showing full all the time.

I assume the bleach, when added, did something to the indicator. Have been waiting for it to fix itself after several drain downs and refills, but no luck.

Advice from you experts? This is the same procedure we have been using.

I believe your tank has slime in it, and the ionic component of the bleach helps conduct electricity through the wet slime. You didn't use enough bleach to kill and remove the slime.

I sanitize quarterly, per manufacturer recommendation. I don't quite remember the ratio, but I think it's 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank capacity. The instructions say to add 1/4 cup to 1 gallon of water to fill through siphon and water pump. Repeat as necessary, to tank capacity multiplier. I have a 100 gallon fresh tank, so I use 1/4 cup x 7. Then, fill the tank till it comes out the overflow. Then run it through all plumbing. Don't forget washer, toilets, icemaker, and outside taps. I have a cap directly on my fresh tank, so I add about 2 cups directly into the fresh tank. I need to remember to run some through the siphon inlet, when I use this method..

Leave the solution in for at least 4 hours (I do overnight). I also don't sanitize my hot water heater. I isolate it, then siphon rust and lime with a Tygon hose from Home Depot. Also remove and jump any filters before sanitizing, bleach will be removed and load up the filter IX bed.

Do a good job of rinsing. Hope this helps.

We travel with 2 Shelties and one '1 of a kind' from the shelter. They love it!

If you use hydrogen peroxide you don't have to flush out the tank. I use 1 pt to about 15 gal of water in the tank and then run all of the faucets so the treated water is in the pipes. Let stand for 15-30 minutes then fill the tank and use as usual.