Sign in to follow this  
PIPEWRENCHGRIP

Too Many Couches

We bought a new Monaco Diplomat a little over a year ago. Can't leave this as is. The new coach had two couches, and we decided one was enough.

We were accustomed to having a recliner and also a computer table. On the street side was a 7-foot couch with a full-size air matress hide-a-bed. The other side was a 7-foot J Bed. There was not enough room on the passenger side slide to install a chair and desk, so I removed the J bed to my four-season room. I then moved the hide-a-bed to the passenger side.

On removing the J bed I, discovered there was a heat register at the end directed under the J bed. I'm sure that put out a lot of heat. Poor design by someone at Monaco. When I installed the hide-a-bed, I left it 3.5 inches away from the wall to allow air flow behind and along the wall. I also installed a 3.5-inch by 5-foot shelf on the back of the couch, a good place for long thin stuff.

I built a corner computer desk out of 3/4' mohagany plywood and stained it to match our existing cherry wood interior. Gunstock stain matched perfectly. I built three small cubicles under the desk on either side of the center where I place my printer.

I then installed a matching leather recliner and foot stool. The foot stool can be used as a chair for the desk, or I simply place the laptop computer on my lap. (What an Idea!)

post-1637-1253913145_thumb.jpg

She did not like the Monaco built in table so I removed it and have an antique double drop leaf table for 6 so we can play mexican train. I have taken the old corian table top and am building a computer desk file cabinet for the front corner of the drivers slide. I can take everything out of the drive slide and clean the only carpet left in the coach. We have put in all tile front to rear thank you aquahot for cool days to keep the tile warm....

Don 42 dynasty heavily modified.

post-4624-1263003824_thumb.jpg

Don't understand what the manufacturers are thinking with their diesel floor plans. The same old tired 2 sofa plan they have been building for years. This is THE main reason we will probably never own a DP, can't stand the stupid floor plans. When will they start building more rigs with the TV in front of the couch instead of 90 degrees off to the left or right and over the driver/passenger chair. No one in their right minds would set up their living rooms at home like this so why do they continue to do it in RVs?

Love the ingenuity and the "remodel" on the rigs guys, good work. I think these companies should actually talk to the customers someday and find out what we really want.