Sign in to follow this  
vickyhferrari@gmail.com

National D-Day Memorial, Bedford, VA

On a recent drive from Roanoke to Richmond, Va., in southwest Virginia, we happened upon the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Va. Bedford was chosen as the site for the Memorial because of the "Bedford Boys," those 19 sons of Bedford who lost their lives on D-Day, more proportionately than any other U.S. community.

As the web site (www.dday.org) states, "Imagine a place where the lessons and legacy of D-Day are remembered and preserved, a place where veterans of all ages are welcomed and honored, a place where visitors discover and recognize the worthy service of those who answer duty's call, a place where gravity and dignity are hallmarks." It is all of this and more.

The Memorial was constructed with $19 million in private donations and dedicated in 2001 by President Bush. It is, without a doubt, a true national treasure. Attendance numbers (approx. 85,000/year) suggest that Its location, although appropriate and touching, was seemingly ill conceived, and the Memorial is in dire financial trouble (see Air Force Times article). There is a chance that the National Park Service will take it on, as was done with Mount Rushmore, but there is no guaranty.

I would like to urge all FMCA members to visit the Memorial. I promise you won't regret it. It is a beautiful setting on top of a hill in the foothills of the Shenandoah Mountains, with lushly landscaped gardens, a breathtaking and touching fountain, various memorials, statutes and plaques, and much symbolism which is fully explained by very knowledgeable volunteer guides. Various tours are offered. We particularly enjoyed our golf cart tour.

There is plenty of room for RV parking; leave the dogs in the RV as they aren't allowed to venture around the Memorial. Our RV was in the nearby Cummins shop on the day of our visit, and we were allowed to carry our two small dogs on the tour and into the gift shop.

Admission, tour tickets and gift shop merchandise all supports the Memorial.

Thank you so much for this posting. I want everyone in FMCA that finds a memorial to our honored vets to please post its location here so that everyone can go pay homage to these great men. We are losing our WWII vets at over one thousand men per day now because of their age and I feel we should honor these great men for their sacrifice and their service to this country. I will book mark this location and the next time I am in the area I will pay homage to these great men.

GOD BLESS OUR VETS

GOD BLESS THIS GREAT NATION ....

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE AND SOON ....

Seajay the sailor man ....

Guest Wayne77590

Vicki,

Thanks for the post. On the 2005 Run For The Wall I had the pleasure of visiting that memorial. It was very well done. I will get back there the next time I travel that way, as my dear wife has not seen it yet.