luckydog1949

W/D Leaking At Drain

Found water leaking from somewhere behind the Splendide W/D that we had installed in the 2005 Itasca Horizon a little over two years ago when we bought the coach. We had moved it over from the fifth wheel we traded for the motor home. I emptied the cabinet above the W/D so I could see behind it and found the water coming out of the drain pipe when the water was pumped out at the end of the wash cycle. I confirmed that the grey water tank was open and empty.

I tried running a drain snake down the drain to clear it. It would only go about two feet down and hit a very hard blockage. So, it was THAT time... I reassembled the stand that I'd built the last time I had to pull the W/D out of it's cabinet, took off the cabinet doors, removed the trim around the cabinet so I could remove the shelf above it, removed the hold-down brackets, and pulled the dryer out onto the stand (which was setting on a throw rug to make sliding easier.) I disassembled it, and the p-trap was clear. I removed the vacuum breaker from the top of the pipe on the right and ran the snake down it. The hard blockage was where the p-trap entered the pipe. I managed to squeeze my big head, and a flashlight, in to where I could see down the pipe. The p-trap pipe had slid all the way into the drain pipe, hitting the other side of the pipe, blocking it completely!

I loosened the nut and slid the pipe out so the larger pipe was clear, tightening everything back up. After studying it for a while, I decided that the flimsy pipe clamp at the top of the drain pipe (on left) didn't hold it well enough to prevent the bottom from sliding to the right if the joint nut loosened up. It's the clamp that you can't even see in the picture... I also added a clamp at the bottom of that pipe, using galvanized metal tape; and, screwed it into the wall so it could no longer move to the right. I really don't want to have to go through all this, again. I didn't take a picture of the final work, because... well ... I was just worn out. Just picture a clamp on the pipe to the left, just above the "p" in the p-trap, holding it in place.

I thought I'd share this, hoping that it might help someone else in the future.

Happy travels,

Tom

They still build RVs like stick and brick houses not like something that is going down the road. Think of it as an earthquake every time you drive. Good job keeping the pipes located.

Bill