Sign in to follow this  
padi194659@yahoo.com

Lippert Ultralevel - Jack Coupler Came Off

I just bought a Damon 3776 motorhome. I was leveling the rig, and the rear curbside jack coupler came off and hydraulic fluid ran out.

I would like to drive it to a service center for a new coupler to be put on or to have a new hydraulic line installed. Lippert troubleshooting gives an option to manually retract using a drill if an electrical failure develops. I am wondering what options I have in this situation. Appreciate your help.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, the jack with the broke coupling, could possibly be plugged off, allowing you to let the other three up. Then placing jack pads (boards) under the broken jack, dump the air bags to force the jack up, may take several times, stacking pads higher each time till it is back at the right height. If it is the big foot design, you should be OK to travel, if the foldup style, with springs, you might have to help them the rest of the way.

Be very careful with this operation, do not crawl under the coach with aired up airbags, use a push stick to push the props under, an awning rod to pull them back out. If you are not comfortable with doing this, "please call for service", if you are in a park, the camp office usually will have a local mobile rv repair that they can call, or give you the number. Wish it were more simple, like just electrical outage.

Good luck, and please follow all safety precautions, by the way, welcome to fmca forum, and happy future RV'ing.

Forgot to add earlier, you may have to add fluid to the fluid tank if the jacks still do not retract, depending on how much fluid was lost.

Thanks for the info.i will look at that tomorrow after work. I have a local hydraulic service company that will replace the hose. They do offer mobile service I was hoping to get jacks up and travel to them 20 miles would get better price.. What really bothers me is tjhe coupler blew off tubing is fine coupler looks fine. Even considered just trying to reattach coupler to get to service but suspect it would be futile. I hoped they would have to replace whole line as their couplers use special tubing. Thanks again. I will look into your option.

These type couplers are swedged onto to the hose which is steel braided. You might consider removing the hose only, normally are fitted with the same type coupler at the other end and couples to a steel tube for the long haul back to the main supply.

Any hydraulic shop could either put a new coupling on the hose, or make a new one.

Once again, don't crawl under that coach with proper stands. I have seen several hurt for life because of not using proper safety in similar situations. An air bag, or a hydraulic jack can be the deadliest when least suspected.

That is the problem I can't see where the other end goes. I am not sure if it is one hydraulic hose from rear jack up to the front hood where the pump is or if the hose connects to a metal piece across the undersurface of the coach. I need to get a low profile floor jack and try and lift the jacks manually I guess then I can secure and take to a hydraulic shop or at least be able to see where the hose goes from the rear jack.

thanks