Sign in to follow this  
snomtn

Hot Water Heater

Had an electric heater unit installed in Feb 15, Worked at the camp site on shore power. Got Home, it will work on generator power not house power? All other systems are ok, I left it in the off mode, and when I checked this Pm, still in off mode but light in switch is on.? I use a 30amp system at home, coach is 5o amp, campground was 50 amp. Someone mentioned the 30 amp plug at home might be wired wrong. Any suggestions?

Has the 30 amp worked fine in the past? You probably have a control in the motorhome that detects whether on 50 amp or 30 amp.

If so, I would suspect that it has shut out the circuit with the water heater to stop an outage because of overdraw. 30 amp is 120 volts from one source of your electricity. The cheater adapter splits the one source and distributes it to both sides of your electric panel in the coach.

The fact that will work on generator indicates that all is well with the heater. If you need the heater at home, you will probably have to install 50 amp service at home.