Sign in to follow this  
dennistrackum

Basement A/C & Inverter Charger Not Working

I have a 1999 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom with an RVP 6636-871 air conditioner located next to the engine in the rear.

I also have a Freedom 20 Heart Interface inverter/charger supported by all new batteries, good connections, and clean terminals.

Both were working fine thru the last 12 months. However, all of a sudden, after plugging into a 50 amp pedestal that had 123 on both legs, the inverter/charger is not charging and the air conditioner is blowing warm air and the compressor is not coming on.

The only problem I found was my 50amp plug had a couple of disconnected wires which was causing me to have only one live leg in the plug. After fixing the plug and plugging it back in these things stopped working.

If the wire in your shore power cord that was disconnected was the NEUTRAL wire, lots of bad things can happen, as voltage has no "reference" and can very from extremely low to extremely high.

If there was a clean break in one of the hots (L1 or L2, all appliances on the broken leg would just not work until you repaired it. BUT, if the break was not complete and you ran appliances on that leg, there could be a substantial voltage drop across the "almost break". And, that likely would have shown as an overheated area in the shore power cord.

If you are safe working around 240 VAC, you might check for proper voltage at the ATS and again at the 120 VAC main breaker panel.

You could also try these things on generator power. That would rule out wiring past the ATS as a problem since shore power and generator power share the same lines. Let us know what you find on generator power.