Sign in to follow this  
downadirtroad

Making Room For The Dog, The Work We Do For The Pet...

We recently purchased a 2002 Dolphin 35' motorhome with two slides, and have been working on modifying it to suit us. One important issue to address was making it comfortable for our Dachshund, Mickey. In doing so, two things needed to be addressed. The first being where the dog rides when we're traveling, and the second making it easier for my wife to get the dog in and out if I wasn't available.

The first issue required making some room. The coach had a recliner behind the passenger front seat, and next to the main door. It's proximity to the passenger chair made for a very tight fit, and we didn't like how it bunched up that area anyway, so it came out to make room for a dog crate. A couple fun days spent in my shop turned out a dog crate built to match the maple wood grain interior of the rest of the coach, with a streak of dark walnut thrown in to add some color variety. We added a wood bowl permanently fixed in place as a catch-all just inside the door as well.

Chair%20to%20be%20removed.jpgDog%20Crate.jpg

The second issue required a little more head scratching, but we finally focused on reducing the distance the dog had to be moved going in or out. The main problem was our ability to safely move the 16lb dog to and from the inside floor when standing outside. That would be like reaching back into the coach to pick up a 2 gallon jug that wiggled. lol... Tough for me, but all but impossible for the wife. The reason we considered this a must fix problem was that we didn't want the Dachshund trying the steps on his own, at his age, and with the back problems for which the breed is known. Anyway, I built a step that would lock in the upright position to stay out of the way when not in use. It would also have a support leg that would lock in place when the step is down to make sure it doesn't collapse. The step is 7 inches wide, so wide enough to get the door to the edge of the coach, but narrow enough that we can easily get in and out with it in the down position. The pictures were taken before I installed the locks, but I used latches that match the latch on the dog crate.

Step%20Down.jpg

Step%20Up.jpg

Now on to figure out what modifications need to be made next. But first a trip to St Louis and Branson for a little R&R. Travel safe.

LOL. That is a terrific idea and a good job! :) Would have been nice with the dog. :(:lol:

Now, hope the dog wants to do, what you want it to do! :D:rolleyes:

Carl