Sign in to follow this  
joulvan@aol.com

RV Parks

Hello, fellow FMCAers. This is my first forum post, so if I fail to post with PC correctness, please feel free to send suggestions. We (husband, soft-coated Wheaton Terrier - Belle, and Me) will be taking our second cross-country trip from Southern California to Daytona Beach, Florida, starting January 10. We'll probably travel along highway 10 most of the way but have no set path yet. We have a 45-foot Monaco Signature and will be in tow, so our concern is RV parks along that route that can accommodate. Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I have often made our first stop in that direction at the KOA Blyth. It has just recently become a KOA. Well kept, nice spa, and a pleasant place to get it all together after starting out. In Tucson we have enjoyed the comforts of Beaudry's. Beyond there we've only traveled as far west as Texas. There were plenty of parks to accommodate pull through large rigs along the way. When traveling to sight see we combine Trailer Life with RVparkreviews.com, and usually call ahead the evening before to secure our next stop. This allows for an extra day of touring or resting as needed. Have a wonderful time and Happy Trails.

If you don't have a copy of the campground guide Best Bets for Big Rigs - I think that is the name. You might want to pick up a copy at your RV dealer, CW or on the web. We have a 40'er and go most anywhere but always when making reservations stress that we have a 40' motor home and toad. There are sometimes campground that will say they have a suitable space that don't but most times we can fit in if they say so. If you want to go first class all the way, then you should have the Big Rigs guide.

Drove to San Diego from San Antonio this past August...a couple of suggestions to get you started:

- Casa Grande, AZ - Palm Creek RV Resort (off I-10 just north of I-8)

This is a large modern RV resort - some park models - lots of snowbirds - if all you're looking for is an overnight, they have an area of paved pull-throughs for folks who are just passing through - so you don't need to unhook. Full hookups, clean, cable, I didn't try the WiFi, but got a good signal on my Verizon aircard. The office closes at 5, but the folks at the gate can take care of getting you in.

- Van Horn, TX (east of El Paso on I-10): Van Horn KOA

Nothing fancy - but a very clean, functional KOA. All gravel pull-throughs with full hookups. About 1 mile off the interstate, so it is very quiet. It worked great for me for an overnight stop.

I agree with the suggestions to check rvparkreviews.com and the Big Rig Best Bets book.

Have fun!