Sign in to follow this  
brat07734@yahoo.com

Need help with Revcon

I need some help. I bought my Revcon a year ago. I didn’t get it to travel, but to live in. The cost-of-living in California is out of this world. Anyway, when I got it I drove it from one place to the other where I rented a space.

Well, last week I had to leave ( the cost-of-living, you know). I drove it out of the RV park with no problem. We only went to the front of the place, but nothing seemed wrong.

Well, now it’s time to register it and I need to get it smogged. My boyfriend noticed hoses and things not hooked up from under the dash. I’ll try to make this as short as possible …

Well, he was trying to figure it out from my wonderful owner’s manual, but all he could do was hook up a hose to something. When we tried to start it, it needed a jump. Then, our gas pedal cable snapped. I had my mechanic look at it and fix the cable, but then we were not getting any gas.

My mechanic thought the line might be plugged, so we put a fuel pump and the gas can deal to get us to his place. It ran okay over there that way. He blew the lines and heard the air in the main tank but not the other tank. (We can’t use the main tank because there is a very small hole in it.)

The mechanic, after reviewing my owner’s book, thought it may be the switch-over valve. He did something under the beast and started my RV. It ran and sounded like it is supposed to. He went under the dash to see what’s what and was there for about half an hour and tried to start it before he left and there was nothing. I am really looking for anyone who may be able to give some input on this. What could the problem be? I need help.

Thank you, in advance.

Brat

I'm no mechanic so can't give you all the help you need. A couple of questions... Did you buy the Revcon new or used? I can't imagine that a new model was out of the factory with cables and wires disconnected.

If you are parking your unit for any length of time without running the engine, you need to add a fuel additive to keep the fuel from gumming up the fuel lines or fuel injectors. This would explain your fuel problems. They have good fuel additives at Wal-Mart or at auto stores. Once you have the additive in the tank, you have to run the engine to get it into the fuel lines and the engine. The additive won't last forever so it is good to get out and drive once in a while. Make a monthly run to the grocery store or something like that.

For the wiring and hoses, you need a qualified RV mechanic. If Revcon is still in business, they would be your best source. If not, go to a RV dealer or to a RV repair shop. You may even be able to find an RV technician in your RV park. This won't be cheap, it is part of the cost of RVing. One possible solution for you would be to sell the Revcon and purchase a fifth wheel trailer. If you aren't interested in traveling, a trailer makes much better sense. You wouldn't have an engine and all that entails. If you need to move your trailer periodically you could hire someone to do that for you.

Hi Brat07734.

My assumption is this is a gas powered coach (not diesel powered). If this is true, the engine requires two things to run, fuel and a spark. Ask your mechanic to tell you which one isn't your engine getting. If you still have a problem, please reply as to if it is fuel or spark. We can then start from there.

Brat, reread your post and could offer a suggestion. Since you are running only on your aux fuel tank, you may simply be out of gas. You don't say what year your rig is but assuming it's older, you will have a relay that switches off and on to switch over the tanks. At least my older Pace Arrow did. This relay could be bad. I would get 5 gallons of gas and put it in the aux tank and see if it fires up. Good luck...D

She bought a Revcon. Revcons were built in the 1970's as gas front wheel drive units as they used the Oldmobile Toronado engine and drive train.

Given that it was bought to live in, it should be sold/traded for a trailer of some type as suggested above. Not driving anything that has an engine is nothing but problems. I know as I have a 33 year old coach. Mine runs like the wind, but let any of them set and problems become multiple.