carroll.87.megan@gmail.com

2005 Monaco Knight

Hi there, I have a 2005 Monaco Knight and I'm having some serious issues.....

When I attempt to start the engine the vehicle beeps and acts like it is building the required air pressure to start but when I turn the key over after all the bells and whistles have finished nothing happens.  This RV has been sitting for approximately 6 months and I just gained access after a nasty divorce so I have no idea what the problem may be or where to even start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The alarms are sounding because there is no air pressure. The coach starter uses 12 volts DC. There could be enough charge to power the alarm system, but not enough voltage to power the starter.

First check the battery charge. Voltage needs to be 12.5. Most likely over a 6 Month period if not connected to shore power they are discharged.

The second issue could be the batteries are low on water if they are wet cells. If this is the case, the batteries are going to need to be replaced.

Do you have a meter to check the battery charge? 

Might want to check all the fluid levels before starting the engine. Oil being on top - then coolant and power steering fluid.Idle engine long enough to build up air pressure and run a complete test of the air brake and air ride system and pressure readings on the gauges and air ride for any air leaks.

Then go onto the tire pressures, wet hubs if the coach is equipped with them and you might want to have someone check the differential oil levels and or any of the items you do not feel comfortable doing yourself. 

Rich.

Carroll.87,

Your coach doesn't need air pressure to start.  One of the whistles you hear is probably low air system pressure.  Without air, you will not be able to release the parking brake.  But, the engine has to be running to build up enough pressure.

So, to get to that point, follow Rich's lead above.  I'm assuming the coach isn't plugged into shore power?  If you have the means to plug in that would be a good start.  This should help the batteries start charging.  If you don't, you may be able to jump start the batteries enough to get your generator started.   Once you start it let the generator run for awhile (20 minutes or so).  Your generator should charge your batteries to let you start the engine.  Do all this after you've checked condition of your batteries as Rich mentions above.  Now, here's something you may not be aware of if your generator cranks but won't start.  If you are low on fuel (1/4 tank or less), the generator won't start by design.

You might check your dash and arm levers for a "start boost" switch.  Our coach has the feature (not sure if yours does) but when you push the switch, and turn the ignition key, you'll also get a power boost from your house batteries.

Blake