Sign in to follow this  
bobts

Adding A Charging Circuit Ford Edge

I have a Class C 28' and tow my 2013 Ford Edge. Due to the "Blue Ox Brake Buddy", I drain the Edge battery after about 3 hours of towing.

What is the process to add a charging circuit to the Edge, or where can I find the info to add a circuit to keep my Edge battery from dying? 

bobts,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Two primary ways to add a charge line from RV to toad:

Manual: Buy two in-line fuses, enough 8 gauge or larger wire to go from coach battery to trailer plug and from toad plug to toad battery.

Fuse at coach battery, fuse at toad battery.  Heavy gauge (at least 8 gauge) wire between with either separate plug or incorporated into the existing coach to toad plug. Upgrade ground wire to same gauge between coach chassis and toad battery negative. The toad battery will charge from coach battery anytime it is connected.

Automatic:  Add to parts list above: 40-50 amp relay and some 14 gauge wire to wire the ignition hot and relay ground. Same, but from fuse on coach battery go to RELAY. Relay closed by "ignition hot" source. The toad battery will charge from the coach battery ONLY when the ignition is on.