Sign in to follow this  
horizonbound00@yahoo.com

Auto insurance

I don't know if this is the right place to ask the question, but we're new to FMCA and will be starting full-timing on Dec 11. House will be closing escrow.

Our motorhome is insured by Progressive, but our car is insured with Shelter. Progressive wants TOP dollar for the car and doesn't want to give much of any discount for a second vehicle. We were wondering who you are insured with and if you are satisfied with them. We will be getting our mail from S.D. and sending the paperwork in this week. Looks like it's going to be a whirlwind of a month. Thanks.

Gary

Guest 2driftrs

For what's worth, Gary, we currently use GEICO. We used State Farm in the past but they don't have a full timers policy without playing games. We're not real happy with GEICO because they upped the rate by a whopping 40% after we signed all the contracts because of prior claims, most Bambi type incidents. Because we're moving to TN in the near future, we've been in touch with lots of insurers and found Progressive to be the most competitive for full timers. We strongly suggest that you work with an agent rather than do the online policy sign-up. That's how GEICO stuck it to us! Fine print about the rate might change after they do their "search" of your records.

I am very happy with our insurance from GMAC. They have full timers insurance that covers contents and liability in campgrounds as well as the usual auto and motor home vehicle insurance. Their motor home insurance includes replacement value for motor home and toad. We've had several claims and they have always been most efficient and have paid fairly in each case. We get a person assigned to our case immediately and they are very responsive in handling our claims. All this is done via the phone and internet (send photos of damage) which might suggest an impersonal approach but we've never felt we got anything but the best service.

Hi Gary,

From one Gary to another, consider contacting a broker that specializes in coach insurance. Farm and City is the broker I use for the coach. Their contact information is 800-331-1520. They will find the best policy for you from several different companies. This year I am with Nationwide for the coach. For the cars, I'm with Progressive. I never insure all my vehicles with the same company. Insurance companies are way to arbitrary on who they will insure. Your zip code plays a big part in their rates. I also have the policies renew at different times of the year. The panic to change companies because of mysterious rate hikes is lessened when one is dealing with only one vehicle at a time.

Because you will be full timing, determining where your legal domicile will be is another decision you need to make. This could be via the mail forwarding service you use. Check out the various states and determine the +/- of having your domicle in any particular state.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Were dealing with an insurance company now. Our house closes Dec 11, when we cancel our insurance on the house and vehicles we will be without ins.

We are setting up a mail forwarding address now, should be complete next week. Probably will have the ins. started on Dec 1. I think there are a million things that have to be done in only 2 1/2 weeks. But we will make it just like all the other people before us.

Hope to see many of you in our travels

Gary