anitabils@earthlink.net

Losing AC power in front of coach

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Admiral with a Norcold refrigerator and ice maker. While on the road in May I lost AC power in the front part of the coach only. The bedroom AC power was OK. When I unplugged the ice maker, model #N843IM, serial #1172594L, the front AC power returned. So, I left the ice maker unplugged.

In September I lost the same power, once again in the front part of the coach, so I unplugged the refrigerator and power returned. Last month, just before our 1,000-mile trip home, the AC power went off again while both units were unplugged. Upon my return I took our motorome to our RV dealer service department and they plugged in both units and the power was restored. They have spent five hours @ $120 an hour testing everthing and cannot find the cause because as now there is no problem.

Can you be of any assistance? Or has any other owner had the same problem? Thank you.

Bill Schwessinger, F407281

Bonita Springs, FL

(239) 992-4539

anitabills@earthlink.net

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Admiral with a Norcold refrigerator and ice maker. While on the road in May I lost AC power in the front part of the coach only. The bedroom AC power was OK. When I unplugged the ice maker, model #N843IM, serial #1172594L, the front AC power returned. So, I left the ice maker unplugged.

In September I lost the same power, once again in the front part of the coach, so I unplugged the refrigerator and power returned. Last month, just before our 1,000-mile trip home, the AC power went off again while both units were unplugged. Upon my return I took our motorome to our RV dealer service department and they plugged in both units and the power was restored. They have spent five hours @ $120 an hour testing everthing and cannot find the cause because as now there is no problem.

Can you be of any assistance? Or has any other owner had the same problem?

Bill,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Most refrigerator 120 VAC outlets (heating element and ice maker) are GFI protected. With the outlet for the refrigerator in a semi-exposed area (outside refrigerator door), moisture can get in there and trip the GFI. And the GFI itself can be located anywhere, with the bathroom and basement being two common locations.

BUT, from your post it sounds like the power comes back on without you having to reset a GFI or breaker when the ice maker is unplugged. THAT IS PUZZLING.

Are any other circuits affected by this?

And anytime you have an issue like this, spend the 10 minutes it takes to re-torque all the connections in the 120 VAC breaker box (with power off of course).

If you can think of anything else that will help us identify the culprit, let us know.

Brett Wolfe

Thanx for your fast reply Brett. In answer to your questions, I do reset the GFI located in the bathroom after unplugging the refrigerator or icemaker and the power returns. Only the front part of the AC plugs are involved, none in the bedroom so no other circuits are effected. I have never re-tourqed the 120 breaker box without power. Does that mean checking the switches with power off? It sounds like you think the problem may be to dampness in the elements located on the outside of the coach, if so, wouldn't most RV's have the same problem? Thanx again, Bill Schwessinger

Thanx for your fast reply Brett. In answer to your questions, I do reset the GFI located in the bathroom after unplugging the refrigerator or icemaker and the power returns. Only the front part of the AC plugs are involved, none in the bedroom so no other circuits are effected. I have never re-torqued the 120 breaker box without power. Does that mean checking the switches with power off? It sounds like you think the problem may be to dampness in the elements located on the outside of the coach, if so, wouldn't most RV's have the same problem? Thanx again, Bill Schwessinger

Bill,

Given that you have to reset the GFI to restore power, the refrigerator is the likely cause of the GFI tripping (When the refrigerator/ice maker is not plugged in the GFI stays ON. And when the refrigerator/ice maker is plugged in it trips the GFI). Have you isolated it to the ice maker vs refrigerator?

If refrigerator, the most common issue is a bad heating element. It could be nothing more than a mud dabber nest that is partically grounding the heating element to the flue. To diagnose: Disconnect the refrigerator 120 VAC. Remove the two leads from the heat element (part way up the flue). Use an ohm meter to check for any continuity between either wire and the metal of the flue. This should have no continuity.

Brett Wolfe