Sign in to follow this  
mikesuzie@optusnet.com.au

G'day from Down Under

G'day

We are two Aussie full timers (last 9 years) contemplating a U.S. trip of from two to three months in mid-2010. We are trying to decide whether to buy or hire an RV and more importantly where to go in our limited time frame.

This is a big ask I know!

The USA is bigger (maybe depending on who you talk to) than Australia and over the past 9 years of full-time travel in Australia we have only scratched the surface of our great country and I am sure the same applies over there; hence, the big ask!

We do plan on starting our trip in San Fransisco and travel on from there. We really do want to to go to New York for the Art Galleries but maybe this would be by plane and then the western and central US by RV.

Any suggestions and comments on our plans would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone was contemplating a trip Downunder then we would be more than happy to assist in any way.

Mike and Suzie

Welcome Mike and Suzie,

There was a query from a US couple looking for travel tips for Australia just a few days ago. See Has Anybody Toured Australia? for that discussion. I wonder if you might entertain exchanging RV's with someone interested in touring Australia? You are coming for the summer and they would be going for the winter but I'm sure some people would be happy with such an arrangement. Lots of us would be interested in touring Australia in an RV.

If you decide to purchase an RV here, there are plenty of used RV's on the market right now. With a used RV purchased at a good price, you might be able to recover most of the purchase cost if you can be patient with the eventual sale. Otherwise, there are RV's for rent through several outlets.

As to what to see, the list is so massive that no one of us could even scratch the surface. On my must see list would be things like the giant redwood and sequoia trees. The redwoods are north of San Francisco and the sequoias are south west. Both are within a days drive of San Francisco. The volcanoes of the Cascade Range are on to the north through northern California, Oregon and Washington. To the south in California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico are deserts. The canyons of Utah, The Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, and Arches National Parks are all spectacular scenery.

You have expressed an interest in art and a web search will connect you with art galleries in many cities. Besides New York, there are excellent galleries in most major US cities. The distance from San Francisco to New York City is approximately 3200 miles. If you decide to make this trip you could go east along a route through the central US or southern part of the country and return through a route in the north or central part of the country.

Let us know what your interests are beyond the art galleries and many of us can chip in with suggestions for things to see.

Guest Wayne77590

If your time is 3 months you really may want to consider an RV as Tom Stated. There is so much to see. You could spend 3 to 4 weeks traveling in each direction with some extra time in spots you find more interesting. However, when you get to certain locations you may want to incur and additional expense of renting an automobile for local touring. Trying to tour in a MH is not to much fun in some areas.

Good luck, and if you get through Texas, give a holler.