RodgerS

Gerber Accepts a Dealership Challenge

7/9/16 Challenge by Mark:

"...I own a dealership. Honestly I don’t believe these issues are any bigger than they were when I started in the RV business in 2000. Some company’s have made huge investments in service and warranty while others have not. There is always room for improvement but I think it’s a joke when I hear how amazing the car business is. My new vehicles have all had multiple issues, one that even kept my brand new truck in shop for 6 weeks before I got it back. I was in the boat business for 10 years before coming to RV’s and they have the same problems. 

I am a member of RVDA and attend the convention every year to talk about some of these very issues with high profile people from the manufacturing level. I am on the board of my local RV dealers association to deal with things at this level. I am always amazed at the amount of dealers that complain but don’t participate. 

Greg is welcome to his point of view, but it’s a shame to see him bash an industry than truly has so many happy owners that just aren’t vocal like the unhappy ones. An industry that helps provide so much quality time for family’s. Are there some horror story’s? Of course there are but I could find those in any industry with a quick google search."

================

7/13/16 reply to Mark, I’m going to take you up on your challenge. I am going to spend the next month walking each campground I am at to speak with anyone outside their RVs and ask them these questions:

1) Do you like the RV lifestyle? What’s good about it? What’s bad about it?
2) Knowing what you do now, would you have bought an RV the first time? Will you buy another one?
3) Will you work with the same RV dealer? 

With my visit to the Escapees Escapade coming up in two weeks followed by the Family Motor Coach Association rally, I should have ample opportunity to speak to RV owners from all over the nation who are ecstatic about the lifestyle, those who are lukewarm and those who regret their purchase. I will be very happy to prepare an unbiased report and share my findings in another column in mid-August. I’m looking forward to this more formalized face-to-face research.

GREG GERBER
Editor, RV Daily Report

7/13/16 2nd post

(in the past)

I have visited well over 300 RV dealerships, 100 suppliers, a dozen manufacturing plants, hundreds of campgrounds and and more than 100 trade shows. Plus, I am the ONLY journalist covering the RV industry who not only owns an RV, but lives in one full-time as I travel around interviewing all these people. If I am alienating myself from the industry, then it is a case of “let’s shoot the messenger because we don’t want to hear this nonsense.”

How many online consumer forums do you monitor daily? Have you been to a consumer rally? Really, all this complaining is news to you? You want proposed solutions, well then the microphone is open. Step up and offer some rather than picking up tomatoes and tossing them at the fat guy on the stage. I stand ready and willing to interview you exclusively for a 45-minute podcast where you can explain your proposals in your own words. It will be a lively debate. When can I call to interview you?

Mohogo.

Welcome to the Forum!

Would be nice if you list what you travel in, just like the rest of us do (mostly).  See my signature.