Sign in to follow this  
tilldee

Generator - Guardian Quietpact 55G, 5,500 KW

The motorhome we are purchasing has a Guardian Quietpact 55G, 5,500 KW generator with 27 hours on it. Does anyone know anything about this particular model?

Tilldee,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

A line of generators made by Generac for RV applications, there are a number of Generac units around, that supply backup power for residential applications. The home owners that have them tend to be very happy with them.

With only 27 hrs. on the meter it should be in good condition.

What year coach is it in? and do you have any maintenance records. The only item(s) would be oil and filter changes, and only if it is 2 or 3 years old. It is always good to get the oil and filters changed on a yearly basis.

Good to run them monthly with at least a half load to warm them up to remove any moisture, stir up the oil, use a little fuel to keep the carburetor in good condition and to check the voltage level.

Rich.

I have the Guardian Quietpact 55G, 5,500 KW generator, in my bus conversion. It seems to serve me well, but there is one hitch, it is a belt driven generator. The motor runs at 2500 rpm, and is configured to drive the gen head at 3600 rpm.

Belts do require to be serviced by someone knows that proper tension is a must, on fairly regular basis. Not a difficult job, and I only tell you this to make sure that it does get proper service. As Rich pointed out, 27 hours is virtually new, and should have many good hours of run time left. Also the 55G is not a 240 volt unit, It has 2 120 volt windings that are not out of phase as a 240 volt unit is. It has one 25 amp breaker, and one 30 amp breaker. Unit will run two AC units fine, and a few other small items.

Kay

Thank you to Rich and Kay for the great info. &nbsp. I tried to make both of your answers as the Best Answer but it will only let me show one.   But know both were very informative and knowledgeable.

Tilldee, No hard feelings on this end. Just glad you received information that was helpful.

Kay and I have had a conversation or two and are kind of cut from the same cloth.

Anyway, he has used a model like yours and had one up on me. :)

Rich.