Sign in to follow this  
xctraveler

Default Time Zone - GMT?

I am delighted to find this updated forum and hope many others join in so it becomes THE place to meet. I was a bit confused when I posted my first comment on a blog to note that the time stamp was 7 hours later than I was!

After some digging through "My Controls" I found the place to set my local time, important to me as I can lose track of when am too easily as it is. I was stunned to find that the default is Greenwich Mean Time. :rolleyes: How many of us are actually in England?

It might be more rational to set the default time to one of the US time zones. If you can't decide which, use the one for the next convention!

Paul

After reading your comment I went into "my controls" and set the time for my time zone. Never thought of that. Now that you mentioned it I worked in the airline ndustry for 18 years and we communicated in those years though a "telex machine. All times were recorded in Zulu time which has the same meaning as GMT.

For the record, Greenwich Mean Time hasn't been used since 1972. Apparently the writer (could it be RV Winkle?) of this software was not aware of the change. It is now called Coordinated Universal Time, UTC or sometimes UT. There are differences, GMT was based on astronomical observations taken at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England. Today we take our time off the vibration of the cesium atom. For a thorough discussion of this see: http://www.answers.com/topic/coordinated-universal-time

I have never seen GMT or UT given in any format other than 24 hour format, e.g. 1800 for 6:00 p.m. Another fact that escaped the software writer. In fact, that is the strength of using such a time standard. Once you know your longitude and/or local time difference then you always subtract (or add) that number to the UT to find your local time. Using UT allows people all over the earth to discuss the timing of an event (military for example) without the ambiguity of using times from different time zones.

So, OK, I'm setting my controls to my time zone just as my computer is set. I had assumed the software would be written to pick up the time setting on my messages just as e-mail does. Wrong. Who writes this stuff anyway???

One problem I have encountered with the time zone adjustment. I just went back to change time zones and found that the auto DST adjustment doesn't seem to be working. If I enter the correct time zone the time shown is one hour off. If I select the time zone one zone to the east then the time is correct. I have the auto adjustment box checked (default) but it doesn't seem to take effect.