Sign in to follow this  
GeoLin

Cat 330

We have a 2004 Kountry Star with the Cat 330 engine.  We recently returned from a 2500 mile trip.  The oil level is now at the add mark.  Would the add to full be 2 Quarts or should I add a quart at a time to see how much it rises on the dipstick.  Also for this mileage would this be considered an average/normal consumption.  Most days I drove 60 to 65 MPH.  The motorhome has 44,000 miles. I'm running Rotella 15W-40.

GeoLin,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Caterpillar did not spec or install the engine oil dipstick-- your chassis maker did.

So, they can tell you the volume between add and full.  OR, as you suggested, add one quart at a time, wait a couple of hours to make sure it is in the crankcase and verify.

Might also be a good idea to "calibrate the engine oil dipstick" at the next oil change.  It is free, and not very complicated.  If you need instructions, let us know.

A quart or two per 2,500 miles is perfect.

BTW, Caterpillar in writing suggests NOT adding oil until the level is at or below the add mark.

George, 

Welcome to the Forum. Drive it for awhile keeping an eye on it. Dip sticks in RVs are not that accurate. The two quarts may have been over filled and it just blew out. If it continues to drop check for a leek or blow by.

Herman