Boaman43

Propane Connection

My Propane fuel line to my generator blew completely in half.

I want to connect a 20 pound external tank to my generator which runs on liquid propane. Can I just run fuel line straight from the tank to the generator or what do I need to do this to make sure I get liquid and don't blow myself up.

Thanks for any help very much appreciated.

First, if the propane line blew in half, I hope that you have closed the valve at the tank to insure that propane is no longer present from that source. Yes you can surely connect another line from a 20# or even larger source. It is not the liquid from the tank but the vapor. At the generator, there is only one source entering the generator, you will need to find that location and disconnect the present fitting. Most propane generators have their own regulators that appear to be permanent, so you won't disconnect it. It will not hurt anything if you place another  regulator next to the tank also. You will need to purge (bleed) the hose as close to the generator as possible to insure that the generator starts easily. Please remember that portable tanks must be placed in an upright position to insure that only vapor escapes to the appliance, so be sure to secure it in this position. Be sure to use a soapy water solution  to check for leaks at every fitting to insure from mishaps. Hope this is helpful, and welcome to the forum.

Boaman43,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Before we offer "do it yourself" advice on a dangerous system, please tell us more about what blew up and exactly what generator you have.