andyshane

Cold Weather Ops in Class A DP

Reposted from iRV2

I thought I'd float this, in case it helps anyone. A few maintenance and operational items from this Texas - Maryland - South Carolina - Texas trip in freezing weather.

• Power Steering   I've done two roadside repairs,* one to remove and replace a cracked hydraulic cooler core, the other to correct a filter "gasket hernia." At issue: higher pressures associated with cold weather ops. In both cases, the rig was warmed up for ten minutes before driving. 
  • Water Hose  We forgot to retract the water hose after filling one night, and entire day in a heated compartment was not enough to thaw it. Worse, to save space (we were hauling freight), I'd hung the spare drinking water hose (to use for manually filling) in an unheated trailer, so it was a solid coil of ice. The solution was to completely extend the coach hose from its reel, coil it inside a bucket of hot water.  Remember, those shutoff valves might not function, in extreme cold. I see lots of frozen lakes around various rigs.
  • Batteries We've been involved with two different rigs whose owners inadvertantly ran down house batteries using a space heater driving down the highway. Running the generator enroute like we all do in the summer for air conditioning is the solution.
  • Aqua Hot Remember that AH doesn't heat the coach unless the AH block heater is on, driving. Else, you have to run the diesel burner, too. At the campground, diesel and 110VAC functions can be run together. The added advantage of this technique: you don't have to remember to turn on the AH block heater for the overnight.
  • Generator It might not start, due to cold. I'm going to invest in a block heater for the generator.
  • Chassis Batteries A diesel mechanic buddy turned me on to Cabela's Pro Series battery tenders. I mounted one on the outside wall of my chassis battery bay, plugged it into the aft block heater receptacle. It optimizes those batteries nightly for that critical morning start under arctic conditions.
  • Sewer Of course, leaving a sewer hose outside can be just as lethal as leaving a potable water hose out. Inchworm the hose to rid it of gray water, and stow before bed. To prevent slide-valve freezing, I pack a wet towel around the port through which the power line extends, eliminating the cold draft that enters my utilities compartment downstairs.
  • Tires Removing a TPMS transmitter from a frozen valve stem for manual measurement will earn you a surprise: it will free flow. Tires should be inflated to manufacturer's load inflation table value -- don't use the placard by the driver's seat -- minus 1 PSI for each ten degrees under 65F.

*If you dump power steering fluid, about ten seconds of normal steering is available, after which it gets progressively harder. In my rig, manually steering into a parking space (I was lucky enough to blow my core 1/4 mile from a truck repair shop) required more than 100 lbs of force on the wheel.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:12 AM, AndyShane said:

Reposted from iRV2

....I thought I'd float this, in case it helps anyone. A few maintenance and operational items from this Texas - Maryland - South Carolina - Texas trip in freezing weather.

• Aqua Hot Remember that AH doesn't heat the coach unless the AH block heater is on, driving. Else, you have to run the diesel burner, too. At the campground, diesel and 110VAC functions can be run together. The added advantage of this technique: you don't have to remember to turn on the AH block heater for the overnight....

Don't know what kind of coach this poster has, but his AH statement is not true on either of the AH units I've had.  The engine heats the water when driving.  On my coach, I simple turn on the heat and set the thermostat.  The burner must be turned on when travelling only if very very cold.  The block heater is for preheating the engine for starting.

12 hours ago, FIVE said:

Don't know what kind of coach this poster has, but his AH statement is not true on either of the AH units I've had.  The engine heats the water when driving.  On my coach, I simple turn on the heat and set the thermostat.  The burner must be turned on when travelling only if very very cold.  The block heater is for preheating the engine for starting.

Same here. I just slide the thermostats in each zone I want heat and the system (electric and diesel) are shut off. The basement will also work if below the desired temp setting and the "system heat" switch is on.