Sign in to follow this  
poormarky

Flat Towing 2008 Avalanche

I'm sure there has been some info on this, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.  I can flat tow my truck with the transfer case in N, but I can't find what to do with the ignition. 

The owners manual doesn't say whether to leave the ignition on or off. 

I read if you have a chip, you need to stop every so many miles to make sure the ignition is on and to disconnect the battery cable.

What is recommended.

Mark,

Yes your 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche can be towed 4 down with the transfer case in "N".

And you do not have to keep the key on while towing. You do not have a locking steering wheel. I have had 2  2008 Chevrolet Silverados.

Here is my procedure to set up to tow.

1) Position the vehicle in position and hook up the tow bar. Back up to be sure the tow bar is locked. Then shut off the engine

2) Turn ignition key on, engage the parking brake and place transmission in neutral.

3) Put your foot on the brake and quickly rotate the selector know all the way to the right (clockwise).

4) Count slowly to the count of 10 and slowly move the know back to the lift (counter clockwise).

If done properly the the "Rod N" should appear. Release the parking brake and start the engine and place the selector into "D" and "R" to see if the vehicle trys to move. If done properly it will only rev up. Then turn off the engine, place the transmission into "P" park close and lock your doors. I have towed many miles using this method. 

When you want the Transmission back into "2" just engage the parking brake, turn the key on, place the selector into "N" and rotate the know to the left "counter clockwise. You will then see the small yellow light come on under the 2. You are then back ready to drive off. Oh yes, it might help to disconnect the tow bar and cables before trying to drive off.:rolleyes: 

Herman

Poormarky, I see you asked the same question on the Chevy Avalanche Club of NA website but got no reply yet.

I have a 2002 NFE and a member there as well, but my RV doesn't have the capacity to tow the Av.

Let us know if Herman's procedure works or if it leaves your transfer case all over the road....j/k Herman.