Sign in to follow this  
pkendzor

ReadyBrute Tow Bar Question

Is anyone familiar with the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with the supplemental surge braking system built into the tow bar itself? I like the concept but didn't see any reviews on it.

Guest 2driftrs

Paul & Carol,

We looked at those when we had to set up our G6, but opted for the US Gear Unified Tow Brake (UTB) instead for a few reasons: first, the Ready Brute doesn't let you control the toad's brakes from inside the motorhome like the UTB. Second, the Ready Brute doesn't have a means to activate the power brake booster in the toad, which means it's working without power brakes. The UTB has a vacuum pump so when the toad brakes, it's using power brakes. Third, you can set the sensitivity on the UTB for more or less aggressive toad braking.

To be fair, the UTB is a great system, but it's not the easiest thing in the world to install. We've installed 2 of them, one in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic and the one in our 2007 G6. I wouldn't recommend the UTB to anyone for a DIY project unless they've got lots of mechanical and electrical experience.

To be perfectly honest, we really liked the idea behind the Ready Brute, and especially liked the price - - about half of what the UTB and a good tow bar would cost. But we already had a good tow bar, and lots of good experience with the UTB, so we stuck with the UTB. If you decide to go with the Ready Brute, we'd love to hear how it works for you.

pkendzor

In your search for a braking system check out this company M & G Engineering. www.MGBrakingSystems.com.

They make a very simple great working unit. They have units for coaches with both air and hydraulic brakes. The unit fits between the master cylinder and the power brake booster. I met the inventor of the unit and he had a very good statement, have you ever tried to stop your car when the engine was not running? It can be done but you must was a lot of force. The M & G unit applies the pressure to the master cylinder. Check out this unit in your search.

Barry & Janet,

I appreciate your input on a tow bar selection. It has been over thirty years since I towed with a tow bar and they have come a long way since then.

We used tow dollies in the past and currently use a flat 2 axle tilt trailer with electric brakes. Although this gives me the flexibility to haul different vehicles and toys, it is a pain to secure them and store an additional piece on a small site.

Ready Brute does offer a 12 volt vac system and check valve to activate the power booster that looks simple to install. It appears the spring arrangment actuator would control the brake pressure to the toad but I am leaning more towards a system like the US Gear UTB.

At one time I enjoyed testing out new concepts, but as I grow older I feel more comfortable with a proven system. So unless I receive some positive feedback from an existing customer, looks like proven is better

Thank You Again,

Paul & Carol

Herman & Bobbie,

Thank You for your reply. I checked out M&G site today and it looks like a nice unit. Our coach has hydraulic brakes but I also have an air compressor and accumulator for the air bags.

Their system for hydraulic brakes requires the addition of a compressor and accumulator to be installed in the coach, and I will have to look up the specs on mine to see if it meets their requirements.

Again, I would like to thank you for your input. It really helps in the decision making process to hear sugguestions and opinions from experienced users.

Paul & Carol