Question

Need some names of some nice places to stay in the following cities. I am a new member as of January and not sure how this works, can anyone help a little.

Scottsdale, AR       El Paso, TX       Fort Worth, TX       Albuquerque NM       Fort Worth  TX      Austin TX     San Antonio  TX

Cheyenne, WY      New Orleans, LA     Nashville, TN     Des Moines, IA    

Thank you

Dennis King

6 answers to this question

DENNISKING, Welcome to the FMCA forum!

I can help with a few.

New Orleans, LA. French Quarter RV park, we stayed here last august, nice place. All paved with pavers, sites and all and some sites have a personal gazebo, nice little extra feature. Lake Pontchartrain landing I have heard is also nice, but from the photos on the website it looks like a potential dust bowl. If you go please let me know what you think, we are headed back next year and I am considering giving this place a try.

Nashville, TN. Nashville KOA http://koa.com/campgrounds/nashville/ we had a great time here, campground nightly has a wine tasting at the pool which was different but nice. the sires are huge and level, very clean campground and well groomed. I believe it was just refurbished in 2014 (same year we went). Its only a few minutes from The Grand Ole Opry and the roads were all paved, some sites have a brick patio with a fire pit table, chairs and umbrellas. Cant say enough good about this place. We enjoyed it so much when we go back I will not even consider another campground.

San Antonio TX, we stayed at the KOA in December 2013, nice place, there could be better in the area, we were just passing through, although I will say it was a very nice KOA for what you usually see with KOA's. Hopefully a local will chime in with more insight.

We are not usually KOA people, but the two above were exceptions to the rules for what you normally get at a KOA.

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the Forum!  For your questions about nice places to stay....you've asked correctly.  Hopefully you'll get some answers that suit your needs.  For starters, we are members of Good Sam, FMCA, Passport of America and KOA.  Each of those offer discounts at member campgrounds.  We default to KOA most often because we know what to expect & usually aren't disappointed.  When traveling without a set itinerary, my wife will Google campgrounds along the route.  KOA website is pretty easy to use.  A lot of what you pick as a campground may depend on how long you will be staying and what amenities you're looking for.  For overnighters we typically just need electricity, sewer and fresh water.  Longer term we look for things like café, laundry, walking trails, proximity to shopping and dining etc.

For your question - here's my two cents:

El Paso - El Paso West.  Nice: can get dusty in El Paso.  We generally try to blow through town.  We've overnighted in Fort Stockton to the east and Las Cruces to the west.

Albuquerque NM - KOA Journey is a nice park.

Austin & San Antone TX - We prefer Fredericksburg which is close by.  Nice KOA there.  Owners are nice.  Ask for a spot in the back under the huge live oaks. And a lot of things to do in town.  Wineries, excellent restaurants, Nimitz WWII museum etc.

Cheyenne WY - Have only stayed in Laramie and don't really want to go back to that KOA.  Front desk folks are mean spirited.  Hopefully Herman Mullins will respond on behalf of Cheyenne as he frequents the town.

New Orleans - French Quarter RV Resort.  A+ in my book.  Expensive but very nice.  Spaces are back in but security is top notch.  It's within waking distance to Bourbon street (daytime) and we take the horse drawn carriage back to the campground at night.  Gates are closed but security will open for guests anytime.  Spa and pool are in a nice patio and you can use their propane grill set-up.

Nashville - have yet to stay there but we have reservations at the KOA in Lebanon for the solar eclipse this August. Then off to the Grand Ole Opry.

Hope this help some.

Blake

1 hour ago, blakeloke said:

Longer term we look for things like café, laundry, walking trails, proximity to shopping and dining etc.

We think alike B). If you are ever up on the east cost in MD try this place. They have a Tiki bar on the beach a takeout restaurant and a coffee/ice cream shop. You can have crabs delivered to your bar stool. Expensive (so are all campgrounds up here) but there is nothing like a cold beer in a frozen mug sitting along the beach.

http://castawaysrvoc.com/

Wow Joe.....that looks like a fun campground!  I see rates go up from 3 September to end of October.  Is that because of fall colors?  We actually would like to do a fall colors trip (perhaps 2018) and will include Castaways as a stop.  I recently lived in Picksburgh for a few years and Deb and others would always come up when leaves started changing.  One of my favorite areas was Bedford Springs during that season through Thanksgiving.

How about a cold bottle of Yuengling with those pierogis!

Thanks for sharing........Blake

5 hours ago, DENNISKING said:

Need some names of some nice places to stay in the following cities. I am a new member as of January and not sure how this works, can anyone help a little.

Scottsdale, AR       El Paso, TX       Fort Worth, TX       Albuquerque NM       Fort Worth  TX      Austin TX     San Antonio  TX

Thank you

Dennis King

Dennis, Welcome to the forum. Heare are my recomendations. Un fortuanatley the Fort Worth Dallas area has a shortage of campgrounds for it's size. 

Fort Worth: Cowtown RV Park, 7000 I-20 Frontage Rd, Aledo, TX 76008, cowtownrvpark.com, (817) 441-7878

North of FW in Grapevine but a good place is: The Vineyards Campground & Cabins, 1501 N Dooley St, Grapevine, TX 76051, vineyardscampground.com, (888) 329-8993

San Antonio, TX: The last time we stayed in SA we stayed at: Admiralty RV Resort,1485 N Ellison Dr, San Antonio, TX 78251, admiraltyrvresort.com, (210) 647-7878

Albuquerque NM: Enchanted Trails RV Park & Trading Post, 14305 Central Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87121, enchantedtrails.com, (505) 831-6317 I was there 3 wheeks ago. It is on the West side of town. It gives you good acess to down town and "Old Town". Try the Church Street Cafey when you are in Old Town. 

Scottsdale, AR We were in Chandler for the FMCA Ralley so this place I heard abot frome people in our groupe who stayed there before coming into the rally.

Twin Palms RV Park, 2225 E Main, Mesa, AZ 85213, twinpalmsrv.com, (480) 962-8607.

Heare are a couple of good aps to help you find places.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

http://www.rvparky.com/

Bill

8 hours ago, DENNISKING said:

Thank you

Dennis King

Are you just looking for campgrounds to stay or are you looking for destinations.  Are the cities listed in the order of your travel plan?  Do you want full hookups and concrete pads or are you more interested in the journey?  If you could give us a bit more information it would be very helpful.  Is this a big rig, Class A, B, C likes and dislikes about where you park?  I don't want to you to feel like you are getting grilled here but it's hard to answer your question if we don't really know what your hopes and dreams are.