StevenMJenkins

Jeep Cherokee: 12v Power To Blue Ox Patriot Brake While Towing

I got the harness modification for my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to tow all wheels down.  I got the Blue Ox Patriot brake for the dinghy.  Problem is that the Patriot wants constant supply of 12 volts of power, but the Cherokee cigarette lighter sockets have power only when the key fob is in the ignition and turned to ON, which leaves the dash lights on while towing.  Can I get power out of these sockets without having the key fob in the ignition?

Welcome to the forum.

Not without rewiring them so they are hot all the time. Some have run a charge line to keep the battery up and tied into that for power to run the Blue Ox Patriot brake. Or you could just run a new circuit from the battery to power a separate  socket for the brake. 

Let us know how it works.

Bill

Steve,

I had a 2015 Cherokee which I towed with the same system.I charged the Patriot battery at night and used all day without any problem. I never had the wobble problem but my dealer installed the modification as soon as it was available. We towed this SUV for 2 years , over 8000 miles. Just changed to Grand Cherokee because we went down to one vehicle. As long as you charge the Patriot battery you shouldn't have any problem.

Roland

I checked on the internal battery of the Patriot.  It is there only for emergency break away braking.  Some others say to use a battery pack used to jump start cars to power the Patriot.  I can indeed charge it each night and plug the Patriot into the battery pack.