vonshep@gmail.com

Is there a fine or penalty if RV registration is a few months late?

Due to financial reasons, we had to move back to our house. Our Class A motorhome's registration expired after 12/31/09. I've heard that you have 30 days to register your vehicle after the due date, but I do not know if we'll have the money in that time for two reasons:

1) Emissions will be required, because we live in the Phoenix Metro area.

2) If we fail emissions (which is possible with the engine problems we had this year), then it will cost more money to get it fix so we can pass -- again, more money that we really don't have at the moment.

We're not planning on driving the RV anywhere for several months. Has anyone been in a similar situation like this, and did you have to pay any fines or penalties when you were able to have the money to get your vehicle registered again?

Due to financial reasons, we had to move back to our house. Our Class A motorhome's registration expired after 12/31/09. I've heard that you have 30 days to register your vehicle after the due date, but I do not know if we'll have the money in that time for two reasons:

1) Emissions will be required, because we live in the Phoenix Metro area.

2) If we fail emissions (which is possible with the engine problems we had this year), then it will cost more money to get it fix so we can pass -- again, more money that we really don't have at the moment.

We're not planning on driving the RV anywhere for several months. Has anyone been in a similar situation like this, and did you have to pay any fines or penalties when you were able to have the money to get your vehicle registered again?

The answers will be specific to your state (Arizona) as states set the rules.

I would recommend contacting the Arizona Department of Transportation if you have questions.

BUT, this is from their Website (scroll down to number 15): http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/FAQs...=2&Keyword=

My vehicle has not been in use, and the registration has lapsed. How do I re-register my vehicle?

If last registered within five years, provide the license plate and/or vehicle identification number and pay applicable fees. In most cases, a Registration Penalty Fee Waiver Request form # 48-9402 can be completed to waive the penalties if the vehicle has not been operated on any public roadway in Arizona. If your vehicle has not been registered within the last five years, additional procedures may be required. Contact Us to discuss any additional requirements.

Brett Wolfe

Check with Arizona DMV, if you certify that the vehicle is being taken off the road you may be able to suspend the registration. Never hurts to ask.

This is definatley State specific. For example here in Colorado they just recently raised all the lic. plate fees and just this month passed a bill that for every month you fail to register your vehicle RV or car you are assessed a additional $50 per month. So if you decide to let your RV sit through winter for six months you will owe a additional $300 on top of your lic. plate fees.

That is why it is so important for those who are going full time and choosing a state to examine carefully all the aspects of moving to any given state. There are questions of the tax system, not just income tax, there is property tax and personal property tax, inheritance tax and laws, vehicle inspection and licensing laws and fees, registration fees, drivers license laws for large vehicles, etc, etc, etc...

Full timers can find a state that is advantageous for them if they really look. It can help stretch your retirement income and make your life easier.