tireman9

How I Set My TPMS

Based on questions I received after my tire seminars in Indy and some statements overheard at various TPMS vendor booths and in other seminars, I decided to offer a detailed example of how I set my TPMS for those that might be wondering how to get the best possible "early warning" from their system.

HERE is the link to my blog with all the details for those interested.

Excellent article Roger! My TST system is a bit different, but in the ballpark of your settings. The MOP + 15% is reasonable and logical. I have a question; my front tires are aired to 115 psi, during summertime driving it is not unusual to see operating temperatures of 135-137*F, my aluminum rims are rated for 130 psi, is this cause for concern?

Tire & wheel pressure ratings are based on cold inflation, not hot running pressure.

What is the warning level for TST? is it only 15% below the baseline or set pressure? IMO its a good idea to get a warning before you hit the MOP.

TST allows the user to set high/low parameters for air pressure alarms. I have my unit set for 10%  low alarm, 20% high alarm relative to my set air pressure. The tire temperature alarm lowest setting is 158*F, and is what TST recommends, they say high temperature tire failures usually occur above 200*F (can't remember the exact temperature). I made the decision to use 10% lower than set tire pressure because of the 20% low = run flat advice.

Thanks for the advice about my (130 psi rated) aluminum rims, the hot temperature of my tires causes my front tire pressure to reach 137 psi.(thus my 20% high decision) causing me concern. I know tires are built to withstand pressures over the cold pressure on the sidewall but wasn't sure about rims.

The rise of my front tires from cold temperature pressure of 115 to 137 hot seems excessive to me. It might be because whoever added air prior to my ownership did not use a moisture trap on the air compressor; I always use a moisture trap on my air hose.

Yes tire / rubber failure can occur at 200F and above but your TPMS is not going to tell you the temperature of the hot spot. I suggest you stay with the 158F

+20% pressure cold to hot is not too unusual.