bigred1cav

Operator's training

Where may my wife and I receive low-cost driver's training for operating our 35-foot motorhome?

We live in central Ohio and have no desire to attend a truck driver school.

Thank you.

Welcome bigred1cav,

Last summer you could have received training at the FMCA International Convention in Bowling Green, Ohio. Each convention there is a drivers training (safety) course given by RVSEF, the RV Safety & Education Foundation. I just hit their site to check on the link given in the blue lettering and they will be in Bowling Green, KY this summer, June 3-6, 2010. What better service could you ask for? You should visit their site as they require advance registration and it is a popular course. Because of the nature of the course, they limit enrollment so don't waste time, sign up now.

This course addresses all aspects of driving an RV and is designed specifically for RV's, not a truck driving school though they draw heavily from truck driver training. After all, in many aspects we are similar to those big trucks. They tailor their presentation for RV's and do a great job of it. I highly recommend this course for anyone who drives a motor home.

If you are new to RV'ing, you will likely find a lot to learn at the RV Lifestyle, Education and Safety Conference in Bowling Green KY. The RVSEF course is offered as a part of this conference. If the dates don't work for you, check the RVSEF site for future dates and locations.

We recently completed a two-day driving course from **** Reed's RV Driving School. If you want to learn in your RV then this course is for you. No classroom, just you in your RV with the instructor. I was amazed at what I and my wife learned with the 12-hour, two-day, two-person class. We have RVed for many, many years and last year we got a Class A motorhome. Our skill and confidence have really now added to the enjoyment of our motorhome. I believe every couple or single owner should take this or some driving hands-on class like this.

Jerry and Diane J.

currently in Quartzsite, Az.

Guest Wayne77590

I queried the internet for my area when I was considering my wife possibly getting a license. I found a trainer that would come to my locality for an 8 hour driving lesson for about $250-350 (Don't remember exactly) We would have to use our MH. So that may be an option for you. Just Google different key words and see if you can find someone in that area. Also, check with your driver license bureau for any recommendations they may have. The prerequisite for her was to have a learner's permit for the class license she wanted to get.

Good luck.