Sign in to follow this  
TvlDs

2005 Ford Explorer FLAT TOW

As the Original Owner of a 2005 Explorer XLT, which was purchased for the 'Eventual' purpose as a Tow Vehicle behind our 2005 RoadTrek Popular 190 Mini Motorhome, the time has FINALLY Come to fully implement this Objective.  Consequently, I am respectfully Requesting ANY Experienced Guidance regarding the CORRECT SETUP, Do'S & Don'ts EXPERIENCES, RECOMMENDATIONS, CAUTIONS, MAINTENANCE, AND/OR ANYTHING ELSE--ANYONE FEELS AS LESSONS LEARNED or Avoid.  

In addition, Any RAPID RESPONSES will be Sincerely APPRECIATED--since we are planning our Maiden Travel Departure with this Explorer in Tow, in about 3 weeks!!

Many Thanks, TvlDs (Don)

Ok,Make sure your truck Can flat tow first off. Second go to your RV dealer, they all sell tow kits to install to to the proper car. They will sell you kit for the car, get a black hawk tow bar. And get the invisibreak from road trek.  This is the. Best. Breaking system I have found. Invisible goes under the seat and you forget about it. Very easy and works great.

Don,

Welcome to the Forum. 

As Fever said, make sure your Explorer is Towable. Is it Four Wheel Drive. If so Does it have the selector to put it in Four Wheel Neutral. If not a ford dealer can install one for you. If it isn't four wheel drive you will need a drive shaft disconnect. A company, " Remco", they have a new name now but you can google Remca, makes a drive shaft disconnect.

You will then need a Tow Bar. There are several very good ones on the market. I prefer the "Blue Ox".

You will also have to have the Explorer wired for lights. Again I prefer the vehicle to be wired with diodes.

And Last you will need an Auxiliary Brake. That is something you will really need if you plan on towing it behind a RoadTrek. 

However before you go to any of the above mentioned modification I would check your GVWR. Your RoadTrek may not be rated for that much weight. 

Herman