Chunkybeastracin@aol.com

More Question on our 1st Diesel Pusher

I just recently found out that on the side where the inspection area is for the engine where the dip sticks etc are, there is a air hose connection which can be utilized to hook up a air hose to air up the coaches tires, run air tools etc. Next to that are two T valves which I was told need to be periodically turned to drain any water/oil build up. My question is the water just built up condensation and where does the oil build up come from. I assume these are to clear the air bag lines and must be powered by some type of air compressor. Does this air compressor need service, checking the oil etc.?

Just when I though I was getting a handle on operating our first Diesel they sprang this on me..........aaaarrrggggg.

Thanks for any tips

The "T" valves are the air tank drains.

Assuming your coach has an air dryer (most do), the opening them briefly is basically a "report card" on the functioning of the air dryer. You should only get clean, dry air out.

If you recall working with an air compressor (like the air chucks at convenience stores), compressing air "squeezes" the water out of the air/condenses it.

Same happens in your engine driven compressor. Water is harmful to the mechanical components of your brake and suspension, so an air dryer is fit. The air goes from the on-engine air compressor to an air dryer. The dryer removes the moisture from the air. It also has a filter that removes oil (that may have gotten by the rings in the air compressor). The air then goes to the storage tanks. So if you see any water or oil in the tank drains, the air dryer needs service. There will also be a recommended preventive service interval for the dryer in your chassis manual or air dryer manufacturer's manual.

And the stored water in the dryer is purged when the air compressor reaches "cut-out" pressure. That is the "sneeze" you hear when coach air pressure reaches cut out pressure.

Brett Wolfe

Chunky,

You aren't located too far from the Albuquerque FMCA Fiesta Convention, March 22-25, 2010. Cummins, Detroit and Caterpillar will be there to give workshops on operating their engines. Their presentation will be followed with a Q&A session and you can also visit their booth and pick the brains of the reps that are there. This is a great resource for someone who is just learning the ins and outs of diesel engines. Be there or be square!