Sign in to follow this  
gfpower@shaw.ca

Ford/GM chassis vs Workhorse?

I am new to the FMCA and I am going to upgrade my Class A gas-powered motorhome. I have a V10 now and I am looking to find out if the V10 chassis or even a GM chassis is in any way different from a Workhorse chassis? I want to add a motorcycle carrier to whatever I purchase and am wondering if a workhorse would allow me this option.

I am aware of the requirements to add the carrier, i.e. GVWR/axle weights/extended frame, as in a pusher/etc. Does the Workhorse mean anything when it comes to answering these questions about carring a bike?

You will receive different opinions but Ford or Workhorse will give you the same performance. There is little difference anymore with all the new technologies built in. A Workhorse is the GM chassis.

The 8.1 litre Workhorse chassis comes with an Allison transmission, which I think is different from Ford. If I was in the market for a new MH, I'd also check out the Workhorse UFO chassis with a front diesel engine. Don't know which engine they are using, but they are owned by International and that International Navstar diesel is a "hoss". We're on our second Workhorse chassis and really like it, but if we were on our second Ford, I'd say the same thing. I really think they are all good.

I had a Ford Class C motorhome with the V10, 6 years and not a problem, lots of power and not bad handling (its' a motorhome). Last year we bought a new Class A Fleetwood on a Workhorse. It doesn't handle that great in a wind but it is big (36 feet) and I tow a small truck. My biggest complaint is getting servicing. I could run the Ford through any lube shop or dealer. Now I have to take the Workhorse to a Workhorse dealer, which can be hard to find. I'm also limited because of the height of this unit (need a 13 foot door). I put 12,000 miles on the unit last year and went to 4 different Workhorse approved dealers. On two of those visits they put too much oil in when they changed the oil. I also had a problem with an engine noise that developed quickly. When I took it in for service I asked them to check it out. Didn't know, sounded like a lubrication noise so they advised I put in straight 30 weight oil. Didn't help so I went on some websites to see if I could find something - short story is that a sparkplug wire had come loose, pushed it back on and all was well again. So the unit seems to run fine, the 6 speed is good, but my concern is the "expert" service I have experienced at Workhorse dealers. Because of this I would think twice about another Workhorse.