blakeloke

New Steer Tires & Something Interesting

While I was never near one that exploded, I was in the room next to it, shook the building. We had a 225/70R19.5 let go on the shop floor, went up and dented the overhead ceiling which was at least an 18' leap. We thought a truck fell off the lift it was so loud. No one was hurt, we had 12' hoses on our tire chucks to keep everyone away, company was too cheap to purchase cages.

At work we had test chamber 12" reinforced concrete + 1/4" steel plate on tire side. Also to lower explosive force tire was filled mostly with water. This left lower volume of air to expand with explosive force. Could test up to 1,000 psi.  I worked 5 floors up and we could hear the boom when they did a test.

23 hours ago, tireman9 said:

At work we had test chamber 12" reinforced concrete + 1/4" steel plate on tire side. Also to lower explosive force tire was filled mostly with water. This left lower volume of air to expand with explosive force. Could test up to 1,000 psi.  I worked 5 floors up and we could hear the boom when they did a test.

:o