Sign in to follow this  
windboat42@bellsouth.net

Trailer hitch options 4 old Prevost?

I am purchasing and old, partially converted, Prevost Le Mirage and have a Marathon of questions to ask. I need a trailer hitch for it.

I am not sure if anyone makes a stock level three hitch or do I have to get a welder to do a custom job$. I am concerned that a welded unit will hamper access to the engine when it needs to be removed in the future (hopefully years from now). I also would like to get something adjustable ( height) as who knows what vehicles I may want to trailer eventfully, down the road. Has any one information that might help me in my search. Thank You so much for reading my post. Regards Windboater

More than likely it will have to be a custom job. A good fabricator can probably weld up something that can be bolted in and therefore be removeable in the future. Height is adjusted by using drop hitchs not by varying the height of the receiver itself and thus you can adjust to anything you may need to tow.

Sorry to hear that John, Keep looking. We have a fabrication shop right here in our small town outside of Seattle that does welding work and a really good hitch and towing shop nearby too. Don't know where you live but you should be able to find a shop to help, although it may be an over nighter "camping" trip which isn't all bad though. Sounds like you have a cool project on your hands, one I have thought about in the past but just don't have the time and money for. Good luck..

If you can find a Class 3 hitch used that may have been on a Ford Pickup (I beleive that is the widest frame), get it and have shop weld it to 2 peices of 6" X 6" angle or maybe 8" X 8" with holes drilled in it so it can be mounted to your chassi. You will have to figure out how wide you will need the bracket to be spaced on the hitch. A good welder and fabricator should be able to make the receiver for you.

Good luck.