RWDMLD18

Dock power

My question would be how prudent is it to plug a 30 amp coach into a 50 amp circuit? My point being that the protection on the circuit is a 50 amp breaker, not a 30 amp breaker. As a matter of electrical code, all the electrical wiring on any circuit should be sufficient to carry the load of the circuit breaker for that circuit. You would never use anything less than a #12 wire on a 20A circuit. You would never use anything less than a #10 wire on a 30A circuit. You would never use less than a #6 wire on a 50A circuit.

If there is some kind of leakage in current, the breaker won't trip until 50 amps is reached as opposed to a 30 amp limit on a 30 amp circuit. The power cord on the 30 amp coach is rated for 30 amps but the breaker won't cut off the current until the amperage reaches 50 amps. This sounds like a dangerous situation that at the least could cause damage to the power supply cord of the coach. If there is a 30 amp main in the coach, then the only wiring at risk would be the shore cord and any wiring between that and the 30 amp main. Still, I would want a portable 30 amp breaker to plug in at the park outlet.

My question would be how prudent it is to plug a 30 amp coach into a 50 amp circuit? My point being that the protection on the circuit is a 50 amp breaker, not a 30 amp breaker. If there is some kind of leakage in current, the breaker won't trip until 50 amps is reached as opposed to a 30 amp limit on a 30 amp circuit. The power cord on the 30 amp coach is rated for 30 amps but the breaker won't cut off the current until the amperage reaches 50 amps. This sounds like a dangerous situation that at the least could cause damage to the power supply cord of the coach. If there is a 30 amp main in the coach, then the only wiring at risk would be the shore cord and any wiring between that and the 30 amp main. Still, I would want a portable 30 amp breaker to plug in at the park outlet.

Tom,

You are correct, there is a slight (very slight) risk in that components from shore power cord (male end) to coach main breaker box would have available to them up to 50 amps before tripping the CG breaker. It would take a virtual dead short to even bring this issue (difference between 30 amp and 50 amp) into play.

The 30 amp main breaker and individual breakers in the coach 120 VAC breaker box protect the rest of the coach electrical system, exactly as it does when plugged into 30 amp

In the real world, these adapters and their use have been around for a long time.

And so we don't cause undue confusion, the voltage and wiring (other than offering more amps) is just fine. The adapter's male 50 connects to only ONE of the 50 amp outlet's two available 120 VAC hots, the neutral and the ground. And your current 30 amp service has just the same, one 120 VAC hot, one neutral and one ground.

Brett Wolfe

The adapter can usually be found at Walmart. I use one when the 30 amp at some of the older (usually state & Federal) campgrounds look corroded or burned. Generally the 50 amp are in better shape.

I believe Tom is 100% right. There is another consideration. Many of us have bought our 50 to 30 adapters from WallyMart. Knowing the quality of their products, I'd bet that if there was a current surge of 40 amps, that cheesy black adaptor would likely melt into a puddle of plastic before any damage was done to the coach.

All, I have installed a 50 AMP Shore Power Outlet just outside my Garage. I use a 50 to 30 AMP Adapter to plug my 30 AMP National Sea Breeze in. All is well. Thanks for all your help.