Sign in to follow this  
waynebeyer

Starter will not engage

All of a sudden the engine won’t start when ignition in start position. Batteries good everything else seems to work. Is there a neutral safety switch? Where do I like for a relay or possible fuse problem. Allison 3000 Cat C9 spartan chassis 

Wayne,

First lets begin with the make, model and year of your coach. 

You might start with your Start solenoid. It can be located with your fuse panel in most cases. With the key on check to see if you have voltage on bath sides of the solenoid. If not jump across the two large post and then try to start your coach. If it starts then it is a bad solenoid and replace it (be sure the ask for a 12 volt continues solenoid).

Herman

Does your shift pad light up when the ignition switch is on? Yes there should be a neutral safety switch. And I have never known of an interlock between parking brake and starter solenoid. Now this is only true if you have air brakes, and I am assuming that yours is. The parking brake on an air brake system actually releases air from a chamber on the drive axel brakes which releases the spring that in turn locks the drive axel brakes. If the shift pad is does not light up, then there is a problem with the shift computer which will not allow the starter to engage.

Thanks, I’ll check that. If rhe neutral light on the shift pads lights can I assume the problem is not transmission related?